Garam masala Powder is a popular Indian spice blend used commonly in Indian gravies. It is a hot and spicy spice blend which is used sparingly to flavor the dish. This spice blend is not only used in gravies but also in making rice dishes or Kebabs. Here is the recipe for kachha Garam Masala …
This is a special dish which is usually made in every South Indian home at the time of festivals or any ocassions. It can be enjoyed during any time of the day.
The recipe below is the way how my mother-in-law prepares.
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Rice – 1 cup
- Tamarind – Big lemon size ball about 40 gms (soaked in 1 cup of hot water)
For Masala Powder
- Chanadal – 2 Tbsp
- Urid dal – 2 Tbsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Whole – 4
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
- Cloves – 2
- Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies- 2
- Curry Leaves – few
- Hing – Pinch
- Green Chillies (Slit) – 4
- Jaggery – 2 tsp
- Seesame Seed Powder – 2 Tbsp
- Urid dal – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp (I didn’t use this)
- Peanuts – 3 Tbsp (I didn’t use them)
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
1. Cook rice in a rice cooker such that every grain is seperate.
2. Soak the tamarind in a cup of hot boiling water and rest it for atleast 15 mins and extract the juice from the tamarind using another cup of water.
3. Run the extract through the sieve and remove the remaining pitt and fibreous content from the tamarind.
4. In a frying pan dry roast all the ingredients under the masala powder till nice aroma starts coming from the ingredients and let them cool down completly.
5. Make a fine powder out of the roasted ingredients and keep it covered.
1. In the same frying pan add oil, when it is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds,red chillies, curry leaves, hing, chana dal, urid dal, peanuts and fry till they are golden brown.
2. Add in the tamarind juice, green chillies and cook for 5 min covered and add in the masala powder and seesame seeds powder, salt and cook for 3 to 4 min till the mixture starts boiling.
3. Cool down the mixture and mix it with the rice which is at the room temperature too.
4 Serve it with papad. Enjoy!!!
Marinated Paneer is pan fried and simmered in a creamy tomato gravy. YUMMM!!!
Serves – 3
Preparation time – 10 mins
Waiting time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 40 mins
- Paneer (Cubed) – 1 1/2 Cups
- Bell Pepper (Cubed) – 1/2 Cup
- Hung Yogurt – 1/4 Cup
- Onion (Cubed) – 1/4 Cup
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger Garlic(Minced) – 1/2 Tbsp
- Dry Fenugreek Leaves (crushed) – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- Cloves – 3 no
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Onion (finely Chopped) – 1 big
- Tomato Puree – 1/2 Cup (from two big tomatoes)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Heavy Cream – 1/2 Cup
- In a mixing bowl combine hung yogurt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste, salt, lemon juice, oil, fenugreek leaves.
- Divide the marinade in two equal portions and marinade the paneer chunks with one of the portions and the onion and peppers with the remaining marinade in another bowl separately.
- Cover and refrigerate both of them in refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile Prepare the tomato sauce.
For the Tomato Gravy:
- Heat oil in a medium sized wide pan, season with cinnamon stick, cloves and saute for 10 secs until fragrant.
- Add in onion and fry till they turn soft.
- Add Ginger Garlic paste and fry for 2 mins till all the raw smell is gone.
- Add in the masalas (red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder) fry for just 30 secs. Take care not to burn any of the ingredients.
- Add the tomato puree and cook till the oil slightly oozes out at the sides of the pan (approx 5 – 7 mins on medium heat)
- Dilute it with 1/2 Cup – 3/4 Cup of water and let the sauce simmer on LOW until we are ready with the fried paneer and vegetables.
- Meanwhile lets fry up the vegetables in a separate skillet with 2 tsp of oil. Fry the marinated vegetables on high heat for a while and gradually reduce the flame to medium and keep stirring them and cook till they have the smoky flavor and are partially cooked. They should be still a bit crunchy.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, pull them out from the pan and set them aside.
- In the same skillet now start frying the marinated paneer. Fry the paneer till it turns deep golden color from all the sides.
- Once done, take them off the pan and mix the fried vegetables and paneer with the simmering tomato sauce.
- Add in cream, salt and bring the sauce to another boil. Check for salt and once you are satisfied with the consistancy turn OFF the heat.
- Serve Paneer TIkka Masala with Roti or Naan or rice. Enjoy!!!
Can you believe? Now you can make this creamy Paala Kova in just 5 mins
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 1 min
Cooking Time – 4 mins
- Sweetened condensed milk – 1 can 14 oz
- clarified butter – 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt – 3 Tbsp
- Saffron – few strands
- Edible Silver leaves – optional
- Pistachios(slices) – 1 Tbsp
- Cardamom POwder – 1/8 tsp
- Nutmeg Powder – two pinches
- In a microwave safe deep bowl add in condensed milk, yogurt, ghee, cadamom powder, nutmeg powder.
- Mix them well.
- Add Saffron Strands. Mix well.
- Micrawave for 2 mins
- Mix well and microwave for 2 mins in 1 min interval.
- Rest for 1 hour and top it with some pistachios and edible silver foil.
Delicious and easy Tiramisu Cupcakes
Makes – 12 Cupcakes
Frosting – 6 Cupcakes Double the frosting recipe to make the frosting for 12 Cupcakes.
- All Purpose Flour – 1 1/2 Cups
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 Cup (at room temperature)
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Eggs – 2 large
- Butter – 1/2 Cup (at room temperature)
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Castor Sugar – 1 Cup
- Heavy Cream – 1/2 Cup (Cold)
- Mascarpone Cheese – 4 oz (room temperature)
- Confectionary Sugar (icing Sugar ) – 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1/4 tsp
- Hot water – 3/4 Cup
- Coffee Powder – 2 Tbsp
- Sugar – 2 Tbsp
- Cocoa Powder – 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- Chocolate flakes – for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Into a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well together.
- You can sift them so that they will be properly combined.
- In another bowl, add butter, sugar, vanilla extract. Cream them together.
- Add the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat well using a whisk until creamy.
- While beating slowly, add the flour and milk alternately beginning and ending with the flour.
- You should get a smooth and lump free batter.
- Scoop the batter using an icecream scoop or a ladle.
- Add into the lined cupcake liners.
- Bake them in the oven for 17- 20 mins or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
Making Espresso using a traditional contraption:
- In the top cup with the perforated holes, add in the coffee powder.
- Press with the lid genlty and add 3/4 Cup of water.
- Let it brew for 10 mins.
- So you get strong coffee collected in the container beneath.
- Now add the collected coffee into the warm water and add the sugar. Mix well until combined.
- Mix well and keep it ready.
Preparing the cupakes for frosting:
- Once the cupcakes cool completely, make holes all over the cupcakes using a for randomly.
- Pour in the espresso or bast it using a brush for all the cupcakes.
- Rest them sit for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile make the frosting.
- Into a mixing bow, add the mascarpone cheese, icing sugar.
- Mix it nice a good until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract. Mix well until combined. Set it aside.
- In a clean bowl add the whipping cream.
- Beat it using clean beaters till stiff peaks.
- Add the mascarpone cheese mixture into whipped cream.
- Mix well until combined.
- DO NOT beat it just mix using a spatula.
Decorating the Cupcakes with the frosting:
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag and frost them the way you prefer.
- Dust them using a tea strainer with some cocoa powder.
- Top them with some chocolate flakes.
- Refrigerate for 5 hrs or serve immediately.
Chegodilu is a traditional south Indian snack recipe. This is made with rice flour and few other spices. Chegodilu have a cute ring shape which makes them popular among kids specially.
Makes – 4 Cups of Chegodilu
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Rice Flour – 1 Cup
- Water – 1 CUp
- Moong Dal (wash, soak in 1/4 Cup of water for 1 hr) – 1 Tbsp
- White Sesame Seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – for deep frying + 1 tsp for making dough
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Asafoetida (hing) – generous pinch
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Into a pan add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the falme.
- Add oil,moong dal,cumin seeds,asafoetida, sesame seeds, red chilli powder, salt.
- Add the rice flour gardually and mix well into the water. Make sure to break all the lumps.
- Take it off the pan and cover the pan with a lid.
- Rest until cool completely.
- Smoothen the dough ball.
- Take a small portion of the dough. Shape into 3 inch long and 1/4 inch thick cylinder.
- Join the both ends and make a circle (ring).
- Make a batch of rings similarly. Keep the remaining dough covered.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Drop these rings one by one carefully into the oil.
- Fry them until they are golden and crispy.
- Follow step 8 to step 13 until all the dough is finished.
Paneer is cooked in a rich and creamy white gravy. Safed Paneer tastes different and unique from the other regular Indian gravies. White pepper, Saffron and Cardamom together play a wonderful role in flavoring this dish. So do try this and serve it with any of your favorite Indian Flat Bread like Roti, Naan Parathas …
The best Burger recipe you ever need. It is just YUM Watch step by step process of making Burger: Makes – 5 Burgers Serves – 3- 4 Ingredients Potatoes (boiled, peeled) – 2 medium Vegetables (chopped, boiled) – 1 Cup (I used Carrot, cauliflower, beans) Curry Powder – 1/2 …
Nothing can beat this Fresh Homemade Lasagna that’s made with homemade sauces, fresh cooked veggies and the freshly made pasta sheets. It looks like a lot of work but trust me, it can be done in an hr when you multi task in your kitchen. If you are a busy person, cook this much ahead …
This is a super quick style of making creamy and yummy Tomato Soup. Ingredients: Serves- 2 – 3 Tomatoes (Cubed) – 3 no Carrot (roughly chopped) – half no Beetroot (roughly chopped) – 1/4 Cup Onion (roughly chopped) – 1/2 no Celery (roughly chopped) – 1 stalk Red Bell …
Hara Bhara Kebab! As the name says, they are filled with lot of green vegetables. I use Paneer and potatoes to give a smooth and creamy texture to the Kebab. They literally melt in mouth when you take a bite of these addictive Kebabs Watch step by step process of …
Biryani recipe made easy!!! Follow this simple process to enjoy delicious Baby Potato Biryani Serves: 2 Preparation time – 5 mins Resting time – 30 mins for soaking the rice Cooking time – 20 mins Ingredients: Baby Potatoes (peeled, washed) – 15 no Cilantro (chopped) – 3 Tbsp Onion …