Quick, easy and healthy Andhra recipe that can be made in under 15 mins and it taste divine when served with steamed rice and fresh cut onions on the side. Try this heavenly combination and enjoy with your family. Click here to watch step by step of making this simple and yummy side dish …
Jal Jeera is a popular summer drink in India. It is refreshing and has bursting flavors coming from mint and freshly roasted and ground cumin seeds. One can call it an Indian Lemonade. Try this recipe and I’m sure you will be blown out. I freshly made a Jal Jeera Masala instead of using the store bought masala mix. That makes all the difference
Watch Step by Step Video Recipe here:
Serves – 2- 3 people
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Mint – Leaves – 1/4 Cup
- Coriander Leaves – 1/4 Cup
- Ginger – small piece
- Black Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (HIng) – pinch
- Salt – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Lemon Juice – 2 1/2 Tbsps
- Sugar – 2 – 3 Tbsp or to taste
- Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Into a blender add in cilantro, mint leaves, black salt, ginger, asafoetida,salt, roasted cumin powder, dry mango powder.
- Add in 2 tsp of lemon juice first and crush all the ingredients to a coarse paste.
- Then add in the remaining lemon juice and grind to a fine paste.
- Pass the blended paste through sieve and mix with 2 cups of chilled water.
- Add in the sugar and mix well.
- Fill the serving glass with enough ice cubes and add in the Jal Jeera into the glass.
- Serve it immediately.
Chitrannam is a south Indian Rice preparation which is usually prepared on festivals. I prefer this lemon flavored rice over the spicy Pulao or Biryani any time of the day. Here is my Mama’s recipe for this Lemon Rice.
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Basmathi Rice (wash, soak in water for 30 mins) – 1 Cup
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 4 no
- Chanadal (Split bengal gram) – 1 tsp
- Urid Dal (Split black lentils) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – generous pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Fresh Coconut(grated) – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Green Chillies – 8 or to taste
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- lemon Juice – 2 Tbsp or to taste
- Baby Eggplant (Brinjal) – 2 no
- Potato (slices) 1 small
- Water – 1 1/2 Cups
- Drain water from soaked rice and cook in 1 1/2 cups of water in pressure cooker or rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, preapare paste from green chillies, cilantro, coconut, salt without any water. Set it aside.
- Heat Oil in a medium sauce pan, when the oil is moderately hot drop in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, asafoetida, chanadal, urid dal, curry leaves. turmeric powder.
- Fry till the dals slightly change their color to golden.
- Add Potato, brinjals and cover to cook till the vegetables are tender. Set them aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan add 2 tsp of oil and fry the green paste that we made earlier. Set it in another bowl.
- Once the rice is cooked, spread it in a wide bowl. Mix cooked green paste and cooked vegetables to the cooked rice. Add lemon juice and mix gently until combined. Serve with papadam or as it is.Enjoy!!!
Makes : 10 scoops
Preparation time – 10 mins
Waiting time – 30 mins
- Whole Milk – 1 Cup (substitute with heavy cream to get a rich ice cream)
- Heavy Cream – 1 Cup
- Sugar – 1/2 Cup (adjust)
- Marie biscuits – 4 or any milk biscuits
- Mango – 2 (I used Kesar variety) or substitute with 1 cup of sweetened mango pulp and skip sugar
- Oven Toasted Almonds – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Tutti Fruity – 1/4 cup (optional)
Break biscuits into small ieces and add into the blender jar followed by sugar, cream. Blend for 30 secs on low to medium.
Add milk and run the blender for 30 secs followed by pulp and again blend for 15 secs or until mixed.
Transfer this cream mixture to ice cream maker (follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using it. Mine will take 25 mins for turning into ice cream. Before 5 mins of finishing time add nuts and tutti fruity and serve it immediately or freeze for 3 hrs and then Enjoy.
If you don’t have ice cream maker then transfer the entire cream milk mixture to a freezer safe container and freeze it for 8 hrs making sure that you take out the container after every hour and mix it until all the crystals are dissolved. repeat this for 8 times. Enjoy!
Delicious and easy Tiramisu Cupcakes
Makes – 12 Cupcakes
Frosting – 6 Cupcakes Double the frosting recipe to make the frosting for 12 Cupcakes.
- All Purpose Flour – 1 1/2 Cups
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 Cup (at room temperature)
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Eggs – 2 large
- Butter – 1/2 Cup (at room temperature)
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Castor Sugar – 1 Cup
- Heavy Cream – 1/2 Cup (Cold)
- Mascarpone Cheese – 4 oz (room temperature)
- Confectionary Sugar (icing Sugar ) – 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1/4 tsp
- Hot water – 3/4 Cup
- Coffee Powder – 2 Tbsp
- Sugar – 2 Tbsp
- Cocoa Powder – 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- Chocolate flakes – for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Into a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well together.
- You can sift them so that they will be properly combined.
- In another bowl, add butter, sugar, vanilla extract. Cream them together.
- Add the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat well using a whisk until creamy.
- While beating slowly, add the flour and milk alternately beginning and ending with the flour.
- You should get a smooth and lump free batter.
- Scoop the batter using an icecream scoop or a ladle.
- Add into the lined cupcake liners.
- Bake them in the oven for 17- 20 mins or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
Making Espresso using a traditional contraption:
- In the top cup with the perforated holes, add in the coffee powder.
- Press with the lid genlty and add 3/4 Cup of water.
- Let it brew for 10 mins.
- So you get strong coffee collected in the container beneath.
- Now add the collected coffee into the warm water and add the sugar. Mix well until combined.
- Mix well and keep it ready.
Preparing the cupakes for frosting:
- Once the cupcakes cool completely, make holes all over the cupcakes using a for randomly.
- Pour in the espresso or bast it using a brush for all the cupcakes.
- Rest them sit for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile make the frosting.
- Into a mixing bow, add the mascarpone cheese, icing sugar.
- Mix it nice a good until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract. Mix well until combined. Set it aside.
- In a clean bowl add the whipping cream.
- Beat it using clean beaters till stiff peaks.
- Add the mascarpone cheese mixture into whipped cream.
- Mix well until combined.
- DO NOT beat it just mix using a spatula.
Decorating the Cupcakes with the frosting:
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag and frost them the way you prefer.
- Dust them using a tea strainer with some cocoa powder.
- Top them with some chocolate flakes.
- Refrigerate for 5 hrs or serve immediately.
Super quick and YUMMY dessert recipe. Serve Bananas Foster warm with vanilla ice cream
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 2 mins
- Banana – 1 semi ripe
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – pinch
- Light Brown Sugar – 1/4 Cup
- Cinnamon Powder – generous pinch
- Heavy Cream – 1/3 Cup
- Walnuts (Chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1/4 tsp
- Into a pan add heavy cream, butter, cinnamon powder, salt, light brown sugar and allow it to bubble.
- Chop the banana and add directly to the syrup.
- Cook the banana for a min or until tender. (it takes a min)
- Add vanilla extract, walnuts.
- Serve it with Vanilla Ice cream immediately.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/02/29/paalakoora-pulusu-koora-traditional-andhra-recipe-under-15-mins/
Creamy, delicate and melt in mouth Dahi Kebab Recipe. Preparation time – 10 mins Cooking time – 30 mins Ingredients Hung Yogurt (Cold) – 250gms Paneer – 100 gas Cheese (grated) – 1/4 Cup Brown Onions – 1/4 Cup Green Chillies – 5 or to taste Onion (finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup Cilantro (finely chopped) …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/02/22/dahi-kebab-melt-in-mouth-kebab/
Three interesting Balushahi varieties. Make these juicy Balushahi this Diwali and enjoy. Happy Diwali Makes – 20 Badusha Preparation time – 1 hr Resting time – 1 hr Process: For traditional Badusha: In a wide bowl,sift all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda together. Make a well in the center and add curd, melted …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/11/08/3-badusha-balushahi-recipes-diwali-special-dessert-recipe/
Hi Everyone, wish you all a very happy dussehra Let’s make a traditional Kaju Katli recipe today. It is an awesome Indian sweet that is usually made during Diwali, but one can make it for any festival. Kaju Katli is also known as Kaju Barfi in some regions. It is made with simple everyday ingredients …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/10/22/kaju-katli-kaju-barfi-quick-indian-festive-dessert-recipe/
Soya Manchurian is a quick snack that is made with Soya Chunks that everybody stocks their pantry with. It is such an awesome preparation that anybody instantly falls in love. When you run out of fresh vegetables and still want to enjoy manchurian during snack time, this is it! Soya Manchurian can be made quickly …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/10/17/soya-manchurian-quick-evening-snack-under-20-mins/
Banana Caramel Crunch Ice Cream is inspired from ColdeStone’s Creamery, a popular Ice cream joint in the United States. This is one of my favorite ice cream flavors. Traditional Banana Caramel Crunch that Coldstone uses French Vanilla ice cream as the base but to make keep it egg free, I made it with cream and …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/07/14/banana-caramel-crunch-no-machine-ice-cream/
Spinach and Rice Balls are amazingly delicious snack which are made using Cooked Rice, potato, Spinach and few other simple spices. These balls are super quick to make if you have some leftover rice at home. I often make these balls and serve with coconut chutney or peanut chutney. You can serve them as they …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/07/10/spinach-rice-balls-quick-snack-recipe/
Mango Delight is a creamy layered dessert with made with Mango pulp and vanilla flavored whipped cream. Serves – 5 Preparation time – 5 mins Total time – 15 mins Ingredients: Heavy Whipping Cream (It should be cold) – 1 Cup Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp Powdered Sugar – …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/06/20/mango-delight-quick-mango-dessert-under-15-mins/
There is something special about homemade fresh bread. Kerala Parotta is one such delicious bread that is popular on the streets of Kerala. People find it tricky to get thin multiple layers which are flaky and smooth at the same time. In this recipe I go through step by step process of making this parotta. …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/06/19/kerala-parotta/
I get lot of requests asking to post quick snack recipes on Sruthi’s Kitchen. These Cheese Vadas are something that taste yummy and can be put together very quickly. These are crunchy from outside and soft and stringy from inside. Serve them as they are or with any dip of your choice. …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/06/16/cheese-vada-quick-evening-snack-under-20-mins/