Crispy and cheesy evening snack that everybody LOVES! Makes – 30 Nuggets Ingredients: Bell Pepper (finely Chopped) – 1/4 Cup Mushroom (finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup Zucchini (finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup Butter – 1 Tbsp Garlic (finely Chopped) – 3 Cloves Chillies (finely chopped) – 3 no or to taste Beans (finely Chopped, blanched) …
Ennai Kathrikai kolambu or Kuzhambu is a very tasty side dish from south of India. It is made with baby eggplants and spices with lot of oil. You can reduce the amount of oil and make it healthier. I deep fried my eggplants but pan frying till tender also works. Choose fresh and tender baby eggplants to enjoy the taste of this vegetable curry. This goes well with rice or rotis.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Ginger Garlic (crushed) – 1/2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes (chopped roughly) – 2 no
- Baby Eggplants (wash, and divide into quarters keeping the stem intact) – 13 no
- Coconut (fresh or frozen) – 1/2 Cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Urid dal – 1 tsp
- Green chillies (slit)- 4 or to taste
- Tamarind (soak in 1/4 cup of water for 10 mins and extract the juice) – lemon size
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – generous pinch
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 no
- Jaggery – 1 Tbsp or to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Tbsp to taste
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 1 no
- Oil – for deep frying + 2 Tbsp extra
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- When the oil is medium hot, carefully drop in the eggplants and fry till tender.
- Remove from the pan and let them rest on the paper towel to soak up any extra oil.
- Keep them aside. Heat another pan with 2 Tbsp of oil.
- When the oil is moderately hot, add in crushed ginger garlic and onions. Cover and cook them together till tender.
- Add in tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder. Mix well and cover to cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Add coconut and immediately turn off the heat.
- Cool the mixture and blend to a smooth paste. (no extra water required for blending)
- Keep the paste aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp of oil, when it is moderately hot, add in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies, turmeric powder, urid dal, asafoetida, dry red chilli, curry leaves. Fry till dal turns golden.
- Add in the ground masala.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 mins or until the oil oozes out from the side.
- Now add in the tamarind extract, jaggery, water, salt, fried brinjals. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Finally add in the cilantro. Turn OFF the heat. Ennai Katrikai Kolambu is ready to be served.
- Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- Roasted Chanadal – 1/4 cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup
- Shredded Coconut (fresh or frozen) – 1/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1 cup
- Green Chillies – 8 or to taste
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Chana dal – 1/4 tsp
- Urid Dal – 1/4 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
Step 1 : Heat a skillet on medium heat, add half the amount of oil into it and when it is hot, roast the peanuts until golden brown.
Step 2 : Then add roasted chana dal and saute it for a min, add green chillies, coriander leaves, salt and shredded coconut and mix it well.
Step 3 : Turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature before blending.
Step 4 : Blend the mixture into a smooth paste adding sufficient water.
Step 1 : In the same skillet add remaining oil and heat it and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, urid dal,curry leaves, dry red chillies.
Step 2 : Mix this seasoning into the chutney
Step 3 : Serve with idli, dosa, ravva dosa, pongal, vada. Enjoy!!!
Fruit Salad is a very very easy to make and delicious dessert. Milk with custard, nuts and fruits of choice makes this dessert to be one of my favorite dessert. It changes into a different tasting dessert every time you change the fruits, nuts and the custard flavour . One can make this dessert without any pre planning. So here is what you are going to need…
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 min
Cooking time – 15 mins
Milk – 500ml
Sugar – 80 gm
Custard powder – 2 Tbsp mixed with 3 tbsp of milk.
Cashew nuts or nuts of our choice.- 2 or 3 Tbsp
Chopped Fruits – 2 cups
Step 1 : Mix custard powder and 3 Tbsp of milk in a cup to make lump free paste.
Step 2 : Boil the milk in a sauce pan add the custard paste that u prepared, then add nuts, sugar and cook for 5 min.
Step 3 : Cool down the mixture little bit and refrigerate till chilled.
Step 4 : Serve chilled with fruits of your choice such as pomegranate, strawberries, banana, apples, pineapple, sapota and avoid fruits which tend to release water.
Kalakand is a traditional Indian Sweet Recipe made with loads of milk and milk products. Mango adds a different dimension of fruity flavor to the ordinary kalankand and makes it simply DELICIOUS! Traditionally Kalakand needs lot of stirring, time and effort to make. In this recipe I simplified the process by using sweetened condensed milk. One can use store bought paneer or make the paneer day before and use it when preparing the dessert to simplify the work involved.
Makes – 9 (2 inch squares)
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Mango Pulp – 1 Cup
- Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) – heaping 1/2 Cup (tightly packed)
- Sweetened Condensed milk – 1/2 Cup
- Clarifed Butter (Ghee) – 1 tsp (to grease the plate)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp (I didn’t use)
- Pistachios (chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Grease the plate with ghee in which you want to set the burfi in ( 8 in diameter atleast)
- In a nonstick pan add mango pulp and cook it for 2 mins stirring around.
- Add the paneer, sweetened condensed milk and mix them well.
- Cook them together for 15 mins stirring in between until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- The mixture should be still moist.
- Then transfer the mixture to the greased plate and shape it into 7 inch square with 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread pistachios and dab slightly into the burfi.
- Let it rest at room temperature to cool completely and cut into 2 inch squares.
- Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!
- One can add sweetened condensed milk according to their taste buds. (increase if you want it sweeter)
- Try with different fruit flavors for a different taste.
- Cut them into different shapes like rounds or hearts to make it interesting for children.
- Milk – 6 cups
- White Distilled Vinegar – 2 Tbsp or Lemon Juice – 4 Tbsp
1. Add milk in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave the milk on High Power for 15 min approximately.
3. Carefully using the oven mitts get the boiled milk out of the Microwave.
4. Add Vinegar slowly into the boiled milk stirring continously till you see all the yellow liquid seperating from the milk.
5. Cover with a slotted plate and rest the bowl till it reaches the room temperature.
6. Quit step5 if you want soft cheese.
7. Seperate yellowish liquid (whey) and cheese using a cheese cloth or a muslin cloth.
8. Rinse the Cheese thoroughly under the running cold water.
9. Squeeze out all the extra water from the Paneer.
10. Rub the collected cheese thoroughly on a clean surface till all the cheese starts coming together.
11. Then form a rectangular or a square block of required thickness.
12. Carefully transfer the paneer block onto the cheese cloth or a napkin
13. Fold cheese cloth from all the sides.
14. Place it under a heavy weight.
15. Allow it to settle down.
16 . It takes about an hour.
17.After an hour remove the Paneer block from the cheese cloth and cut into desired shapes.
Tips :1.Always keep an eye your the microwave because every microwave is different from other.
2. Usually it takes 15 min to boil 6 cups but my microwave took 14:40 min to boil 6 cups
3.You can boil the milk on stovetop too.
4. Paneer can be refrigerated upto a week in an air tight container.
5. Paneer when fried till golden brown in colour can be frozen for even months.
6. Whey is a rich source of protein so you try using this in kneading Chapathi or Paratha dough.
7. Whey at room temperature can be refrigerated and freezed.
8. Resting the milk mixture after curdling produces more Paneer than not doing so.
9. But resting the milk mixture after curdling is not suggested if one makes Paneer to use in making desserts since it produces hard firm and crumbly Paneer.
Easy rice recipe which can be made in a jiffy. Corn and Mushroom make a great combination. Especially when mixed with some seasoned rice, it tastes yummy. You can serve as it is or with some raitha. Serves – 2 Preparation time – 10 mins Ingredients: Garlic (finely Chopped) – …
Delicious and easy Tiramisu Cupcakes Makes – 12 Cupcakes Frosting – 6 Cupcakes Double the frosting recipe to make the frosting for 12 Cupcakes. Ingredients: All Purpose Flour – 1 1/2 Cups Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp Milk – 1/2 Cup (at room temperature) Salt – 1/4 tsp …
Strawberry Burfi is another variation of traditional Indian burfi. Strawberries used in this recipe make it naturally colorful and adds a wonderful flavor. Ingredients: Strawberries (remove the stalks and wash them under running water) – 18 medium Butter – 1/4 Cup Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp Sugar – 1/4 …
Tiramisu is a creamy Italian dessert with layers of lady fingers and mascarpone cheese. It has a lovely mocha flavor which everybody loves. Now, you can make this dessert without eggs and ladyfingers. Let’s see how to make it from the scratch Makes – 9 servings Ingredients: All Purpose Flour – …
Coconut and Mawa Burfi is perfect dessert to make on any special occasion. Milk solids make this dessert rich and creamy. Dry coconut is simmered in milk and milk solids and flavored with cardamom. And the pistachio topping makes this dessert look elegant and tempting. Do try this recipe and enjoy …
Gulab Jamun is the most popular among all the Indian desserts. Dried milk balls fried and soaked in sugar syrup just melt in mouth. One can make this on any special occasion to treat your sweet tooth. Makes – 15 jamuns Mawa (grated) – 1 Cup tightly packed All …
Snow Balls are a great tasting and easy to make dessert. Made with fresh fruits, bread, topped with eggless custard and cream, makes them creamy and delightful. You can make them ahead of time and serve for lunch or dinner . I’m sure you will LOVE for their simplicity, taste and elegance. …
Cheese making sounds critical. Unlike other cheeses Mascarpone is easy to make and cheap when we make at home than buying from the stores. It is easy to make and tastes divine. It is widely used in making array of desserts. So here is the recipe. Ingredients: Heavy Cream …