Quick, easy and healthy Andhra recipe that can be made in under 15 mins and it taste divine when served with steamed rice and fresh cut onions on the side. Try this heavenly combination and enjoy with your family. Click here to watch step by step of making this simple and yummy side dish …
Halwa is an Indian pudding cooked with vegetables or milk sometimes with bread. Bottle gourd Halwa is one of such type of pudding which every household kitchen in India makes at festive occasions or main events. Mild flavored bottlegourd is cooked in creamy milk and reduced till forms a pudding consistency. Usually served warm or cold, anyway you serve it tastes AWESOME.
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Bottle gourd(wash, peel and grate) – 1 small size.
- Whole Milk – 2 Cups
- Milk Solids (Mawa, Khoya) – 1/4 Cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup or to taste
- Clarified Butter (ghee) – 2 Tbsp
- Rose Water – few drops
- Almonds (sliced) – 1 Tbsp (garnish)
- Cashews (sliced) – 1 Tbsp (garnish)
- Cashews (chopped) – 1/2 Tbsp
- Raisins (chopped) – 1/2 Tbsp
- Cut off the both ends of the Bottle gourd. Grate and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized thick non stick pan.
- Add clarified butter and fry cashews for 10 secs or until slightly colored. Add raisins and fry till plumped up.
- Add the grated bottle gourd and fry till ghee slightly oozes out from the sides of the pan (approx 4 mins)
- Add in milk and bring to a boil taking care not to burn the milk.
- Cook bottle gourd in the milk stirring occasionally until mixture thickens and almost all the milk is evaporated. (Approx 7 mins)
- Add in rose water and sugar cook till ghee oozes out. Remove from pan.
- Garnish with sliced nuts and serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
- Basmathi Rice: 1 Cup (wash, rinse and drain till it runs clear)
- Dry Red Chilli Whole – to taste (soak for half an hr or cook in microwave in 2 Tbsp of water for 2 mins)
- Garlic – 3 big cloves
- Bell Peppers (finely chopped) – 1 Cup
- Beans (finely chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Caroot (finely chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Tomato (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Boiled and slightly mashed peas – 1/2 cup
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala – 2 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – to taste
- Water – 1/4 cup approx (add if the mixture is becoming dry)
- Cilantro – 1/4 Cup
- Blend Red Chillies with garlic to a coarse paste and set it aside.
- Heat a non stick Tawa add butter, cumin seeds allow them to sizzle for a while then add in onion. Keep the heat on High through out the recipe.
- Cook till the onion turn soft then add in the blended masala and cook till garlic is cooked and doesn’t have any raw smell. Make sure to keep stirring the mixture as it gets cooked evenly without burning any of the ingredients.
- Then move the onion from the center of the pan and add the beans and carrot, pinch of salt to help them cook faster. After two mins keep them away from the center and carry on with the peppers.
- Cook the peppers till they are smoky but still crunchy and do the same with the pepers(move away from the pan)
- Add in the tomato cook till mushy (if needed sprinkle water if the mixture is going dry in any of the steps )
- Add in peas, water and mix everything together with all the vegetables that we moved away from the pan previously
- Now add in the red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala powder, salt, turmeric powder and cook for 30 secs.
- Add in the cooked rice and mix with the vegetables and masala. Sprinkle water whenever needed
- Add in lemon juice and cilantro. Mix in through Serve piping hot as is or with raitha.
Hi Everyone, wish you all a very happy dussehra Let’s make a traditional Kaju Katli recipe today. It is an awesome Indian sweet that is usually made during Diwali, but one can make it for any festival. Kaju Katli is also known as Kaju Barfi in some regions. It is made with simple everyday ingredients with few steps involved. It has a soft texture with a slight mouth feel and not a overly sweet dessert. Now let’s see how to make this yummy dessert.
Makes – 15 pieces
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Cashew Nuts – 1 Cup
- Sugar – 1/3 Cup
- Cashew (Halves) – for garnish
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Saffron – few Strands (for garnish)
- Ghee (for greasing the rolling pin and plate) – 1 Tbsp
Step by Step Process of making Kaju kati/ Burfi. Watch the Video here:
- Blend the Cashews to a fine powder in a clean blender jar(It shouldn’t be pasty).
- Add Sugar to a medium size non stick pan, and add water.
- Bring the mixture to 1 String consistency.
- Add Cardamom powder.
- Add Cashew nut powder and mix well.
- Cook till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer the mixture to a thali/ plate which is greased with some ghee
- Grease the rolling pin with ghee and roll the dough into 1/4 inch thick circle.
- Leave the mixture to cool for 5 mins.
- Apply silver varakh and cashew halves for garnish.
- Cut into 1.5 inch diamonds and serve.
- Garnish with Saffron.
- Kaju kati can stored for 1 week in a air tight container in refrigerator.
- Do not over cook the sugar mixture. Just cook till one string consistency.
- Silver Varakh is optional.
- This can be made with pistachios to get Pista Burfi.
- Do not over cook the Kaju Paste.
Try this simple recipe of making mayo and I’m sure you would never again buy it from the store. And Yes, it is EGGLESS
- Milk – 1/4 Cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Lime Juice – 1 – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1/2 Cup
- Black pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Mustard Seeds crushed – 1/4 tsp
- In a clean deep bowl, add milk, oil and whip it using an immersion blender.
- Beat the mixture till it becomes thick and nicely emulsified.
- Add salt, pepper, lime juice and crushed mustard seeds and mix well.
- Use it in while making any salad or burgers.
- This can be refrigerated up to a week.
Gutti Vanakai is a popular andhra curry made with tender eggplants stuffed with spicy masala mix.
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 30 hr
- Dry Red Chillies – 8 or to taste
- Dessicated Coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
- Garlic – 3 big cloves
- Tamarind – 4 small flakes
- Clves -2
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch piece
- Chanadal – 1 Tbsp
- Urid Dal – 1 Tbsp
- Jaggery – to taste
- Fenugreek Seeds – 5
- Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) – pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
For Frying Brinjals:
- Oil – for deep Frying
- Baby eggplants(brinjals, make crisscross cuts on top of the brinjals) – 6 no
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – to taste
- Cilantro(coriander leaves) – 1 Tbsp
- Deep fry the eggplants in medium hot oil till they are just tender (do not overcook the eggplants)
- FOr masala turn on the pan, and heat 1 Tbsp of oil, add fenugreek seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, chanadala and fry for 30 secs, add in urid dal and fry for 30 more secs.Add dry red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, tamarind, garlic cloves. fry for a while.Afinnaly turn off the heat add in coconut and jaggery. Let all the roasted ingredients cool completely then blend to a fine powder.
- Add about a Tbsp of water to the masala powder and stuff the brinjals with a Tbsp of masala in each eggplant.
- Heat a pan and add 1/2 Tbsp of oil and place the stuffed eggplants onto it gently one after other, add in red chilli powder, salt and then slowly cook them covered for 10 mins till they are cooked completely and all the flavors from the masala are absorbed by the eggplants.Finish this off with some chopped cilantro.Serve with rice or roti.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/02/29/paalakoora-pulusu-koora-traditional-andhra-recipe-under-15-mins/
Creamy, delicate and melt in mouth Dahi Kebab Recipe. Preparation time – 10 mins Cooking time – 30 mins Ingredients Hung Yogurt (Cold) – 250gms Paneer – 100 gas Cheese (grated) – 1/4 Cup Brown Onions – 1/4 Cup Green Chillies – 5 or to taste Onion (finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup Cilantro (finely chopped) …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2016/02/22/dahi-kebab-melt-in-mouth-kebab/
Three interesting Balushahi varieties. Make these juicy Balushahi this Diwali and enjoy. Happy Diwali Makes – 20 Badusha Preparation time – 1 hr Resting time – 1 hr Process: For traditional Badusha: In a wide bowl,sift all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda together. Make a well in the center and add curd, melted …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/11/08/3-badusha-balushahi-recipes-diwali-special-dessert-recipe/
Hi Everyone, wish you all a very happy dussehra Let’s make a traditional Kaju Katli recipe today. It is an awesome Indian sweet that is usually made during Diwali, but one can make it for any festival. Kaju Katli is also known as Kaju Barfi in some regions. It is made with simple everyday ingredients …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/10/22/kaju-katli-kaju-barfi-quick-indian-festive-dessert-recipe/
Soya Manchurian is a quick snack that is made with Soya Chunks that everybody stocks their pantry with. It is such an awesome preparation that anybody instantly falls in love. When you run out of fresh vegetables and still want to enjoy manchurian during snack time, this is it! Soya Manchurian can be made quickly …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/10/17/soya-manchurian-quick-evening-snack-under-20-mins/
Banana Caramel Crunch Ice Cream is inspired from ColdeStone’s Creamery, a popular Ice cream joint in the United States. This is one of my favorite ice cream flavors. Traditional Banana Caramel Crunch that Coldstone uses French Vanilla ice cream as the base but to make keep it egg free, I made it with cream and …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/07/14/banana-caramel-crunch-no-machine-ice-cream/
Spinach and Rice Balls are amazingly delicious snack which are made using Cooked Rice, potato, Spinach and few other simple spices. These balls are super quick to make if you have some leftover rice at home. I often make these balls and serve with coconut chutney or peanut chutney. You can serve them as they …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/07/10/spinach-rice-balls-quick-snack-recipe/
Mango Delight is a creamy layered dessert with made with Mango pulp and vanilla flavored whipped cream. Serves – 5 Preparation time – 5 mins Total time – 15 mins Ingredients: Heavy Whipping Cream (It should be cold) – 1 Cup Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp Powdered Sugar – …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/06/20/mango-delight-quick-mango-dessert-under-15-mins/
There is something special about homemade fresh bread. Kerala Parotta is one such delicious bread that is popular on the streets of Kerala. People find it tricky to get thin multiple layers which are flaky and smooth at the same time. In this recipe I go through step by step process of making this parotta. …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/06/19/kerala-parotta/
I get lot of requests asking to post quick snack recipes on Sruthi’s Kitchen. These Cheese Vadas are something that taste yummy and can be put together very quickly. These are crunchy from outside and soft and stringy from inside. Serve them as they are or with any dip of your choice. …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/06/16/cheese-vada-quick-evening-snack-under-20-mins/