This is a great lunch box idea, quick to make yet really tasty. Spinach rice is filled with the nutrients from spinach and paneer (Indian cheese).
Serves – 2 adults
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 40 mins
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 Tbsp
- Whole Garam Masala – Cloves – 2 no, peppercorns – 5 no, Cinnamon – 1 inch piece, Bay Leaf – 2 no, Star Anise – 1, Black Caradamom – 1 no
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion (Sliced) – 1 Cup
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 2 big pods
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Mint Leaves (no stalks) – 2 Tbsp
- Cilantro – 1/4 Cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Spinach (chopped) – 1 to 1 1/2 cups (tightly packed)
- Carrot (shredded) – 1/2 cup (used for color contrast)
- Basmathi Rice (washed, rinsed, drained, soaked for 1/2 hr) – 1 Cup
- Water – 2 Cups (if cooking in a pan, 1 1/2 cups if cooking in a rice cooker or a pressure cooker)
- Yogurt – 2 Tbsp
- Paneer (stir fried) – 1/2 cup
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
Into a wide non stick pan, add oil, ghee, heat it up, once the oil is enough hot add the whole garam masala ingredients and fry for 30 secs.
Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle, then add sliced onion and pinch of salt, cover and cook till the onion are soft.
Meanwhile lets prepare the masala that goes next, into a blender jar add ginger, garlic,green chillies, mint, cilantro, curry leaves, salt and blend till coarse.
Add this masala to the cooked onion and mix them together, add spinach, carrot and cook for 5 mins.
dd in the soaked rice, fry the rice for 2 mins stirring carefully. Then add in water, yogurt, paneer cover and bring the mixture to a boil.
Cover and cook till tiny bubbles show up floating on top of the rice. At this point mix well and cook for 15 mins on lowest heat setting.
Enjoy flavorful and simple to make Spinach Rice with Raitha of your choice or you can even have it as is.