Every household has their own Lemon Rice recipe but trust me and make this one, you will definitely fall in love with this dish. This is my family recipe that I had it almost on many festivals since my childhood. Very yummy and really easy to make dish that everybody can make.
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 40 mins
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Split urid dal (skinless) – 2 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli Whole – 2 no
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Cashew nuts – 5 no
- Potato (med, chopped) – 1 no
- Baby eggplants (washed and remove the stems, sliced) – 2 no (I didn’t use in the recipe but tastes awesome if used, add the eggplant to the 50 % cooked potato so that everything will be evenly cooked)
- Cilantro – 3 Tbsp
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Fresh or frozen coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Rice – 1 Cup (pressure cook until 1 whistle with 2 cups of water, and simmer for ten mins to get perfect rice)
Heat a pan, add oil, once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow to pop, then add cumin seeds, urid dal, red chilli whole, cashewnuts and fry till the cashews change into golden color. Add int the curry leaves and stir them along with the seasoning.
Add in the potato, pinch of salt and mix well, cover and cook on low to medium till potao is nice and soft but retain their natural color and shape.
Meanwhile blend green chillies, coconut, cilantro to a coarse paste and add it to the cooked potato mixture and cook with the potato on low heat for just 2 mins.
Remove from the pan and mix carefully with the cooked rice. Serve with papad.