- Toordal (Split Pigeon Peas) -1/3 cup (washed andd soaked in clean water for about 15 min)
- Fenugreek leaves (washed and finelu chopped) – 2 cups
- Red chilli powder – to taste
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind – small lime size ball
- Dry Red Chillies – 2 (broken into 2)
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Garlic – 1 clove(finely chopped)
- Salt -to taste
- Oil or ghee – 2 tsp
- Water -1 1/2 cups
Step 1 : Into a pressure cooker add the soaked dal, fenugreek leaves , onion and tamarind and add about 1 1/2 cups of water.
Step 2 : Turn on the stove and pressure cook all of them till three whistles.
Step 3 : Rest the Pressure cooker till all the pressure goes down by itself.
Step 4 : Open the pressure cooker lid add salt and red chilli powder then again bring the entire mixture into a rolling boil.
Step 5 : Mash the Dal little bit if required.
Step 5 : Meanwhile let’s do the seasoning.
Step 6 : In a small pan add oil and turn on the heat wait till the oil is nice and hot
Step 7 : Add mustard seeds wait till they start popping then add cumin seeds wait till they turn golden brown then add garlic, curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chillies and Hing
Step 8 : Saute it and immediately add the seasoned oil (tadka) into the boiling dal.
Step 9 : Add ghee on top of the Dal.
Step 10 : Serve it with Rice, Roti, Paratha, Phulka and enjoy.