Simple and tasty side dish which goes well with rice, rotis, chapathis. No need to chop onions or cook tomatoes.
It can be made with just few ingredients but a great blend of vegetable(Radish) and protein (dal).
- Shredded Radish – 2 cups
- Dry Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened) – 1/4 cup
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garlic (chopped) – 3 big cloves
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry red Chillies – 3 no
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil -3 Tbsp
Step 1 : Mix the Shredded Radish with 1/2 tsp of salt and rest it on the countertop for half an hour.
Step 2 : After half an hour squeeze out all the water oozed out from the radish.
Step 3 : Blend coconut, salt, red chilli powder together till fine powder is formed and everything is blended very well.
Step 4 : Turn on the stove, heat oil in a pan.
Step 5 : Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, red chillies, garlic .
Step 6 : Saute well till the garlic slightly turns golden brown in colour.
Step 7 : Add the shredded radish into the pan and cook it well till all the raw flavour of the radish goes away and cooked well.
Step 8 : Add the coconut mixture into the pan and mix everything well.
Step 9 : Cook till all the flavours are blended very well.
Step 10 : Turn off the stove and serve it hot with rice
Tips : 1.Salt the radish with no more than 1/2 tsp of salt otherwise the entire dish tastes very salty
2. Squeezing out all the moisture from the radish improves the taste of the dish.
3. Do not burn the garlic or shredded coconut, they produce a lot of flavour to the dish when cooked right
4. Try to use fresh garlic and fresh dry coconut in this curry.