Serves – 3
Preparation time – 10 mins
Soaking time – 2 hrs.
Cooking time – 30 mins.
- Black Gram Dal Skinless (Urid dal) (Wash and soak in enough water for 2 hrs) – 1 Cup
- Water – as required for grinding the batter (approx 1/4 to 1/2 cup depends on the quality of dal)
- Salt – to taste
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) – to taste (I used 4)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- Curry Leaves (finely chopped) – few
- Oil – for deep frying
Drain the water from the dal and grind it into a smooth and thick paste (Use limited water to make a paste). One can make use of blender or wet grinder for this purpose.
Once the batter is ready add in salt, green chillies, cumin seeds, curry leaves, cilantro and mix well.
If you used blender while grinding, spend extra time for mixing the batter vigorously to incorporate more air, say about 10 mins.
Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying, wait till the oil is medium hot.
Set some fresh water in a bowl and the batter beside the frying pan.
Once the oil is medium hot, dip your fingers into water, take desired portion of batter into your palm, poke a hole at the center and carefully release into the oil. Make a few of them the same way.
Fry them till they turn golden all over.
Serve hot with chutney and/or Sambar.