Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Beans (chopped in 1/2 inch pieces) – 2 Cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli Whole – 2 no
- Asafoetida (hing) – pinch
- Bengal Gram Dal – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green chillies – 6 or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Shredded coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Ginger – small piece
- Curry Leaves – few
- Pressure cook the beans for one whistle till they are soft but should still retain their shape.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to moderately hot oil and allow to pop, then add in cumin seeds, dry red chilli, curry leaves, chanadal, hing and fry till dal slightly changes its color to golden.
- Add in onion, pinch of salt and mix well. Cover and cook till they are soft.
- Meanwhile make a coarse paste from green chillies, ginger and coconut.
- Add this coarse paste to the cooked onion and cook it covered on low heat for 2 mins.
- Finally add the cooked beans, salt and cover them to cook for 3 mins. So that all the flavors will be absorbed well by the beans.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or roti or chapathi.