Tomato Rasam is traditional south Indian soup which can be had with rice or as is.. This is a must in any South Indian meal. Any South Indian meal is definitely incomplete without this sweet , sour and spicy rasam.
Serves – 3 to 4
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/3 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – pinch
- Curry Leaves ( hand torn) – few
- Dry Red Chilli Whole – 2 no
- Tomato (chopped) – 3/4 cup (1 big no)
- Onion (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- Peppercorns (slightly crushed) – 2 no
- Coriander Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Green chillies (finely chopped) – 1 no or to taste
- Sugar or jaggery -1 tsp to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Water – 2 to 2 1/2 cups
In a sauce pan heat oil and season with mustard seeds and allow them to pop, then add in cumin seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilli, hing and mix them up well.
Add in onion, water, tomatoes, pepper powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, green chillies, red chilli powder, sugar, salt. Boil for 15 mins uncovered.
Check for right amount of salt and sugar and adjust accordingly if needed. Finally add in cilantro and turn off the heat. Serve with hot rice and papad.