Chitrannam is a south Indian Rice preparation which is usually prepared on festivals. I prefer this lemon flavored rice over the spicy Pulao or Biryani any time of the day. Here is my Mama’s recipe for this Lemon Rice.
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Basmathi Rice (wash, soak in water for 30 mins) – 1 Cup
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 4 no
- Chanadal (Split bengal gram) – 1 tsp
- Urid Dal (Split black lentils) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – generous pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Fresh Coconut(grated) – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Green Chillies – 8 or to taste
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- lemon Juice – 2 Tbsp or to taste
- Baby Eggplant (Brinjal) – 2 no
- Potato (slices) 1 small
- Water – 1 1/2 Cups
- Drain water from soaked rice and cook in 1 1/2 cups of water in pressure cooker or rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, preapare paste from green chillies, cilantro, coconut, salt without any water. Set it aside.
- Heat Oil in a medium sauce pan, when the oil is moderately hot drop in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, asafoetida, chanadal, urid dal, curry leaves. turmeric powder.
- Fry till the dals slightly change their color to golden.
- Add Potato, brinjals and cover to cook till the vegetables are tender. Set them aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan add 2 tsp of oil and fry the green paste that we made earlier. Set it in another bowl.
- Once the rice is cooked, spread it in a wide bowl. Mix cooked green paste and cooked vegetables to the cooked rice. Add lemon juice and mix gently until combined. Serve with papadam or as it is.Enjoy!!!