Any South Indian Breakfast is incomplete without a chutney as an accompaniment. Most common chutney is the humble Coconut Chutney. Addition of cilantro while making the chutney gives a new dimension to the normal coconut chutney. Try this coconut chutney for your next breakfast. You’ll know what I’m talking about.
Serves: 3 people
Preparation time – 5 min
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Cilantro (washed) – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies (slit) – to taste
- Roasted GramDal (Dalia) – 1/4 Cup
- Ginger – small piece
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Urid Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 2 no
- Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
- In a pan, add 2 tsp of water and add the cilantro to cook for 2 mins. Once the cilantro wilts, remove from the pan and set it aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil and fry green chillies, ginger for 30 secs.
- Add dalia and fry for 30 secs.
- Next add the coconut and fry for 30 secs. Add salt. Cool the roasted mixture completely and blend to a fine paste using some water (as required)
- In a pan add the remaining oil, once it is moderately hot, add mustard seeds.
- Once they start to pop, add in urid dal, curry leaves, dry red chillies and fry till the dal slightly changes to golden brown.
- Immediately pour this seasoning into the blended chutney. Mix the chutney with the seasoning and Enjoy with your breakfast recipe.