Any happy moment would be incomplete without a sweet dish. Jalebis are the most popular among the Indian Sweets. Traditionally Jalebi recipe needs atleast ten hours of fermentation, but nobody can wait so long to taste these crispy and juicy treats. So, finally came up with this quick and easy to make yeast free version.
Makes – 18 Jalebis
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
Waiting time – 30 mins
- All Purpose Flour – 1/2 Cup
- Chickpea Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Corn Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – pinch
- Yogurt – 1/2 Cup
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp + for frying
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
For Sugar Syrup:
- Sugar – little less than 3/4 cup
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- Saffron – few Strands
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- In a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, corn flour, chickpea flour, turmeric powder, yogurt, oil, baking soda and mix everything together till nice and smooth. Cover the bowl to rest in a warm place to ferment.
- I always prefer to rest the batter in my warm oven. So, preheat the oven to 200 F and turn OFF the oven. Place the batter with its lid on in the oven for 30 mins.
- If you are living in a warm place just rest the batter on the countertop for 30 mins.
For Sugar Syrup:
- Start preparing the syrup when it is 10 mins left for fermentation of the batter.
- So for Sugar Syrup, heat the sauce pan on medium, add in the sugar and water. Keep mixing till the sugar completely melts.
- Stop stirring the mixture once the sugar completely melts. Further boil the mixture for 5 mins or until it reaches one string consistency.
- Add in the saffron, lemon juice and turn OFF the heat.
Frying the Jalebis
- While preparing the sugar syrup, one can turn ON the heat and heat up the oil for frying the Jalebis. Heat the oil on LOW to MEDIUM.
- Once the batter is fermented give it a final mix and pour in the batter into the ketchup bottle and shape into squiggles by pouring the batter into the oil. Make about 3 – 4 jalebis at a time (depending on the size of the pan) and fry for couple of mins on both the sides.
- Once fried, remove from oil and immediately transfer into the warm syrup and let them sit for 30 secs. Allow them to soak in the syrup on both the sides. Take them out and serve immediately.
- Carry on the same process with the remaining batter by frying them in batches and soaking them in warm syrup for 4 – 5 times or until the batter is done.