Sponge cake is a basic cake recipe. You will never again feel bad for being a vegetarian after trying this cake recipe. This recipe is the eggless version of the cake, which is moist and buttery, yet light on your tummy. Follow these simple steps and I’m sure anybody can master the technique of baking an eggless cake.
Makes – 8 inch square cake.
preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 25 mins
- All Purpose Flour – 1 1/2 Cup
- Corn Starch – 1/4 Cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Baking Soda – 3/4 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1/2 Cup
- Milk (at room temperature) – 1/2 Cup
- Butter (softened at room temperature) – 1/2 Cup
- All Purpose Flour (for dusting pan) – 1 Tbsp
- Distilled White Vinegar – 1 Tbsp
- Granulated Sugar – 2 – 3 Tbsp (depends on your tastebuds)
- Vanilla Extract – 1 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 8 inch square baking tin with butter, dust it with dry flour. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift all purpose flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- In another bowl, add butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, sweetened condensed milk. Beat them for 3 mins until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1/3 portion of flour, half of the milk to the wet ingredients mix well until combined.
- Add again a 1/3 portion of flour and mix well. Then add in the remaining milk and remaining flour, vinegar and mix with a very light hand until combined.
- Add in the batter to the greased and dusted baking tin.
- Bake for 25 – 30 mins or until toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Rest the cake in the pan for 5 mins and invert onto the cooling rack. Allow to the cool completely.
- Serve as it is or cover with your favorite frosting and enjoy!