Baby Brinjals are always special to me and I love them anyway they are cooked. Rasavangi is a spicy tamarind based sauce which when cooked with baby eggplants and dal makes it delicious, nutritious and filling. Serve this with hot steamed rice and papad and it’s something one would love to have again and again.
Serves – 3 to 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Baby Eggplants (washed, cut in small 1/2 inch thick slices) – 4 no
- Green Chillies – 4 or to taste
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – generous pinch
- Toor Dal (washed, drained) – 1/4 cup
- Cilantro (chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fresh Coconut (grated) – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Chanadal – 1/2 Tbsp
- Urid Dal – 1/2 Tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 10 – 15 no
- Dry Red Chillies – 7 or to taste
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery (grated) 1/2 Tbsp or to taste
- Tamarind paste – extracted from small lime size tamarind
- Pressure cook the dal with 1/2 Cup water till smooth and mushy. It takes about 4 whistles.
- Meanwhile boil baby eggplants with turmeric powder,peanuts in a sauce pan. Cook till 70%.
- Simultaneously in a medium frying pan add 2 tsp of oil, add in fenugreek seeds, chanadal, urid dal and fry till dals slightly change to golden.
- Add dry Red Chillies and fry for few seconds.
- Add Coconut and fry till fragrant. Cool the roasted ingredients and set them aside until cools completely.
- Blend the roasted spices to a fine powder. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile the dal will be cooked, once the steam is out and cooker cools completely by itself, mash the dal till smooth.
- Add the mashed dal to the 70 % cooked brinjals. Add tamarind paste, salt, ground masala and simmer the curry for 5 mins.
- Start seasoning in a small tadka pan. Heat remaining oil, add mustard seeds and allow to pop.
- Add asafoetida, curry leaves, cilantro and pour this seasoning on top of the simmering curry.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and papad.