Halwa is an Indian pudding cooked with vegetables or milk sometimes with bread. Bottle gourd Halwa is one of such type of pudding which every household kitchen in India makes at festive occasions or main events. Mild flavored bottlegourd is cooked in creamy milk and reduced till forms a pudding consistency. Usually served warm or cold, anyway you serve it tastes AWESOME.
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Bottle gourd(wash, peel and grate) – 1 small size.
- Whole Milk – 2 Cups
- Milk Solids (Mawa, Khoya) – 1/4 Cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup or to taste
- Clarified Butter (ghee) – 2 Tbsp
- Rose Water – few drops
- Almonds (sliced) – 1 Tbsp (garnish)
- Cashews (sliced) – 1 Tbsp (garnish)
- Cashews (chopped) – 1/2 Tbsp
- Raisins (chopped) – 1/2 Tbsp
- Cut off the both ends of the Bottle gourd. Grate and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized thick non stick pan.
- Add clarified butter and fry cashews for 10 secs or until slightly colored. Add raisins and fry till plumped up.
- Add the grated bottle gourd and fry till ghee slightly oozes out from the sides of the pan (approx 4 mins)
- Add in milk and bring to a boil taking care not to burn the milk.
- Cook bottle gourd in the milk stirring occasionally until mixture thickens and almost all the milk is evaporated. (Approx 7 mins)
- Add in rose water and sugar cook till ghee oozes out. Remove from pan.
- Garnish with sliced nuts and serve warm or cold. Enjoy!