Avial is a kerala’s special mixed vegetable curry recipe. It is power packed with various veggies and goodness of simple and subtle spices like cumin and coconut. Serve Avial with steamed rice and/ or roti.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Mixed Vegetables (Plantain, cluster beans, french beans, baby eggplant, carrot) – 2 cups (cut in 1 inch pieces)
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Fresh Coconut(grated) – 1/2 Cup
- Asafoetida (hing) – big pinch
- Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato (chopped) – 1 Tbsp for garnish
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut water – 1/4 cup
- Yogurt – 1/2 Cup
- Blend cumin seeds, green chillies, fresh coconut to a coarse paste and set it aside.
- Meanwhile heat a medium pan. Add coconut water, chopped vegetables.
- Cover and cook till vegetables are just tender.
- Now add in the ground green chilli, cumin and coconut paste to the cooked vegetables. If mixture is dry add 1/2 cup of water. Cover and let it simmer.
- While simmering, heat a small tadkapan.
- Add in coconut oil and once it is heat add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop.
- Turn the heat OFF and add hing and curry leaves.
- Immediately pour this seasoning to the simmering vegetables and mix well.
- Finally finish the dish by adding enough salt and yogurt to the vegetables and cook for 2 mins on low heat covered.
- Top with chopped tomatoes.
- Serve with hot steamed rice or rotis.
- Feel free to use any vegetables of your choice.
- For vegan version, substitute yogurt with equal amount of coconut milk and 2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Substitute coconut water with plain water for convenience. But coconut water adds that extra coconut- y flavor to this Avial.