Pappu Chekkalu are a crispy snack usually made for special festivals and happy moments. This is my family recipe and they taste absolutely YUMMY!
Makes – 25 no
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Rice Flour – 2 Cups
- Water – as required to make a stiff dough
- Peanuts – 1/2 Cup
- Dalia (Putnala Pappu) – 1/2 Cup
- Red Chilli Powder – to tatste
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for deep Frying
- Crush Peanuts to a coarse Powder. Add to the Rice Flour.
- Crush the Dalia to a coarse Powder. Add it to the Rice Flour.
- Mix well. Add Red Chilli Powder, Salt, water to make a stiff dough.
- Heat the oil on medium. Shape the dough into 1 inch round balls.
- Coat them with a drop of oil. Keep them Covered.
- Flatten each dumpling using a rolling pin or tortilla press. Or just press in between your palms.
- Grease two polythene sheets with few drops of oil on each side and place on the tortilla press.
- Press the dumpling in between the polythene sheets using the tortilla press to get a thin roti.
- Slide it into the oil. Make few more and fry till golden on both sides.
- Serve them at room temperature.
- Store in any air tight container. They stay fresh for upto 1 month.