Tomato Chutney is a tangy and spicy simple to make condiment. Tomato Chutney tastes best when served with South Indian Breakfast recipes like Idli, dosa, upma.
Serves – 2 to 3
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Roasted Chanadal (Dalia) – 2 Tbsp
- Green Chilli (Slit) – 1 or to taste
- Dry Red Chillies – 5 or to taste
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Onion(sliced) – 1/2 no
- Tomatoes (sliced) – 2 no
- Coconut Milk – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Dry Red Chillies – 2 no
- Asafoetida (hing) – pinch
- In a medium pan, add oil. Heat it on medium flame.
- Add in green chillies, dry red chillies, roasted chanadal and fry for 10 secs .
- Add in Onion, cover and cook till they slightly sweat.
- Add in tomato and cover to cook till soft.
- Let the mixture cool slightly then blend with salt and coconut milk to a smooth paste.
- Remove the chutney to a serving bowl.
- Heat a small pan with 2 tsp of oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they pop completely.
- Add hing and dry red chillies, curry leaves. Mix well and pour immediately on top of the chutney.
- Serve with any South Indian Breakfast like idli, dosa, upma.