Coconut rice is a traditional south Indian recipe. Rice is flavored with the moist lightly sweet coconut and special cashew nut seasoning to add a slight crunch.
Serves – 2 to 3
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Coconut oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cashews (divided) – 10 no
- Chanadal – 1 Tbsp
- Urid Dal – 1 Tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1/8 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 3 no
- Salt – to taste
- Green Chillies – 8 or to taste
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 1/2 C to 3/4 Cup
- Coconut Milk – 1/2 Cup (optional)
- Basmathi Rice (wash, drain, soak in fresh water for 1/2 hr) – 1 Cup
- Water – 1 Cup (add 1 1/2 cup if skipping coconut Milk)
- Pressure Cook the soaked rice with fresh water and coconut milk for one whistle and simmer on LOW for 5 mins.
- Once the pressure is gone, open cover and spread the rice in a wide bowl to let it cool fast.
- Heat pan with oil. To the medium hot oil. Add mustard seeds and allow to pop.
- Add Chanadal keep mixing and add urid dal, dry red chillies, when they turn golden add the cashews and fry till golden.
- Add in green chillies, curry leaves and salt and cooked rice mix well and turn off the heat.