Katte Pongali is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe. Rice and Moong Dal are tempered with simple soaning ingredients to make it very light and flavorful. Serve it hot with chutney and/ or Sambar
Serves – 2 to 3 adults
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Rice – 1 Cup
- Moong Dal/ Pesara Pappu – 1/4 Cup
- Water – 4 Cups
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 Tbsp
- Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Ginger (minced) – 1 Tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 3 pinches
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 4 no
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Into a pressure cooker add in the dal and dry roast till fragrant. (approx 2 mins). Remove from pan and mix well Rice.
- Wash the dal and rice well and set them aside.
- In the same pan add 1 tsp of ghee and add ginger. Fry ginger on medium heat for 30 secs.
- Add washed rice, dal, salt and water. Wait until water boils.
- Cover the pressure cooker and allow it to cook until 4 whistles or until dal and rice are slightly mushy.
- Add Ghee in a tadka pan and let it become moderately hot.
- Add in peppercorns and fry till they splutter.
- Add in cumin seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves, hing and fry for 30 secs and immediately pour the seasoning on top of the cooked dal and rice.
- Serve hot immediately with chutney and/ or Sambar.