Plantain Podimas is a perfect everyday vegetable recipe. Fresh Lemon juice, ginger are the key ingredients which add a zing to this curry. So now you know what to do with the plantains when you see them at the grocery store 😉 Serve it with hot steamed rice and Papad.
Serves – 3 adults
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Raw Plantains (peel, wash, chopp in bite size pieces) – 2 medium
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Chanadal – 1 tsp
- Urid Dal – 1 tsp
- Ginger(Chopped) – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro (chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Onion (finely Chopped) – 1/2 no
- Dry Red Chillies – 2 no
- Peppercorns (crushed) – 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Lemon Juice – 1 Tbsp or to taste
- Fresh Coconut (grated) – 1/4 Cup
- In a pressure cooker add water and place another bowl to cook the plantain.
- Add plantain into the bowl and add in 3 Tbsp of water.
- Pressure cook till one whistle. Turn OFF the heat.
- When all the pressure releases, remove the cooked plantains from the cooker and slightly mash it.
- In a pan heat oil, to the medium hot oil add in mustard seeds and allow to pop.
- Add in cumin seeds, chanadal, urid dal, green chillies, turmeric powder, dry red chillies, ginger, wait till dals turn golden.
- Keep mixing and add onion, curry leaves and cover till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add salt, pepper powder, coconut and cook further for 30 secs.
- Add cooked plantain and lemon juice. Mix well. Cook covered for 2 mins to help the plantain absorb the flavors from the seasoning.
- Finally top it off with cilantro.
- Serve with hot steamed rice and papad on side.