Karivepaku Podi is fragarant and spicy condiment which is usually served with steamed rice or Indian breakfast recipes. It makes any boring Indian meal into an interesting combo. I sometimes add a tablespoon of this to any vegetable to make it aromatic and special!
Makes – 1 1/2 cups of podi
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins + 5 mins blend time
- Curry Leaves (wash, pat dry, packed) – 2 Cups
- Dry Chillies – 12 or to taste
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 Tbsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Chanadal – 2 Tbsp
- Urid Dal – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tamarind – lemon size ball
- Dry Shredded Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- In a skillet add 1 tsp of oil and heat till moderately hot. Add chanadal and fry till aromatic and golden. Remove dals from pan and set aside.
- Then add 1 tsp of oil and fry urid dal till golden and put aside.
- Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fry on low to medium heat moving around till fragrant. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Similarly in a tsp of oil fry the curry leaves pressing with ladle till crisp and dry. Set aside.
- Again add 1 tsp of oil and fry red chillies fry till crisp then add in tamarind, dry coconut and fry till fragrant (approx 30 secs) on low heat.
- Wait till all the dry roasted ingredients cool completely. Blend in a dry mixie jar with required salt till you get a fine powder. (do in batches depending in the size of the mixie jar). Mix well till incorporated if done in batches.
- Store the powder in a dry air tight container. Use whenever desired. Serve with steamed rice or Idli, spread on dosa or simply sprinkle on a piece or bread. Enjoy!