Pappu Charu is a very comforting and easy to make traditional andhra lentil soup recipe. Serve it hot with hot steamed rice along with papad to enjoy it to the core!
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Toordal (wash and drain the water) – 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Onion (chopped) – 1 small
- Tomato (cut in chunks) – 1 no
- Tamarind (soak in water extract juice discard fibers) – 1 lemon sized ball
- Oil – 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 3 no
- Green Chillies (slit) – 4 or to taste
- Asafoetida – generous pinch
- Jaggery – 1 tsp or to taste
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Ginger and Garlic Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
- Cilantro (chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Pressure cook the toor dal with enough water and turmeric powder. Cook till mushy or 4 whistles. Soak the dal before cooking for getting this consistency.
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool completely, open cover and mash the dal. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan heat oil, add in onion and cook till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 30 secs.
- Add green chillies, tomatoes, water, jaggery, 2 cups of water, tamarind,red chilli powder, salt and boil till tomatoes are tender.
- Add cooked dal to boiling water. Keep that going. Meanwhile heat another tadka pan.
- Into the tadka pan add oil and heat on medium. Add mustard seeds allow them to pop. Add cumin seeds, dry red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves.
- Add the tadka to boiling pappu charu and top it off with the cilantro. Serve with hot steamed rice.