Cauliflower is available all year around in the place we place. I love to make snacks like Cauliflower manchurian. Today I have something different to share using Cauliflower. It is Cauliflower 65 which makes a wonderful snack along with your evening tea or when you have some company.
Serves: 2 to 3 adults
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Medium Cauliflower (florets, blanched) – 1/2 no
- All Purpose Flour – 1/3 Cup
- Corn Flour – 1/2 Cup
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Green Chillies (slit) – 5 or to taste
- Ginger and Garlic Paste – 1/2 Tbsp
- Water – 1/4 Cup or as required to make a stiff batter
- Oil – for deep frying
For making Batter:
- In a mixing bowl add all purpose flour, corn flour, salt, pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, ginger and garlic paste, red chilli powder.
- Mix well and add water to the dry ingredients to make a stiff and smooth batter without lumps.
- Add cauliflower florets and mix gently with the batter.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Deep fry the cauliflower florets in medium hot oil till they become crispy (approx 7 mins)
- Fry the cauliflower florets in batches taking care not to crowd the pan.
- Finish frying all the batter coated cauliflower. Set them aside.
- In the same oil fry green chillies, curry leaves and add them immediately to the fried florets.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on top for extra freshness.
- Serve hot with chutney or sauce of your choice.
- For blanching the cauliflower simply drop the cauliflower florets into the hot boiling water and let them sit in the water for 10 mins or until they are just tender
- Rest the batter mixed with florets to get marinated which results in flavorful Gobi 65. If running out of time, simply fry immediately.
- For crispy Gobi 65 one should make sure the batter is thick enough to coat the cauliflower florets.
- While frying the florets take time and fry them on medium heat for 7 mins atleast or until crispy enough.
- One can use any other vegetable like Potato, soya chunks, paneer, mixed vegetables instead of cauliflower and make different variations.