Hush Puppies are a popular Mexican Snack recipe. I made it eggless for my vegetarian friends. Try this version and you will never miss on the texture of the Hush Puppies. Addition of whole wheat pastry flour instead of All Purpose Flour is a healthy twist to the recipe again. If you are health conscious you can lightly spray with oil or butter and bake instead of deep fat frying. Enjoy!
Serves – 2 to 3
Preparation time – 10 mins
Waiting time – 30 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour – 1/2 Cup
- Yellow Corn Meal – 1/2 Cup
- Onion (finely Chopped) – 1 medium
- Greek Yogurt – 3/4 Cup
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies (finely Chopped) – 4 or to taste
- Cilantro (finely Chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Ginger (grated) – 1 tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
For the batter:
- In a mixing bowl add pastry flour, cornmeal, onion, cumin seeds, baking soda, green chillies, cilantro, ginger, greek yogurt and make a thick batter.
- Leave the batter covered in a warm place for 30 mins
For Deep Frying:
- After 30 mins take the batter out and mix well and heat the oil for deep frying.
- Heat the oil till it is moderately hot.
- Shape the batter in 1/2 inch round balls and drop into oil and fry them till golden on medium heat.
- Drain the fried Hush puppies on a paper towel.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining batter. Enjoy as is or with Salsa or Ketchup.
- One can replace whole wheat pastry flour with a combination of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour in 1: 1 ratio.
- Or simply use only all purpose flour for tastier Hush Puppies.
- Corn kernels can be slightly crushed and added into the batter before frying. It gives a different texture and flavor.
- If you dont have greek yogurt replace it with normal yogurt.