Kalakand is a traditional Indian Sweet Recipe made with loads of milk and milk products. Mango adds a different dimension of fruity flavor to the ordinary kalankand and makes it simply DELICIOUS! Traditionally Kalakand needs lot of stirring, time and effort to make. In this recipe I simplified the process by using sweetened condensed milk. One can use store bought paneer or make the paneer day before and use it when preparing the dessert to simplify the work involved.
Makes – 9 (2 inch squares)
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Mango Pulp – 1 Cup
- Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) – heaping 1/2 Cup (tightly packed)
- Sweetened Condensed milk – 1/2 Cup
- Clarifed Butter (Ghee) – 1 tsp (to grease the plate)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp (I didn’t use)
- Pistachios (chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Grease the plate with ghee in which you want to set the burfi in ( 8 in diameter atleast)
- In a nonstick pan add mango pulp and cook it for 2 mins stirring around.
- Add the paneer, sweetened condensed milk and mix them well.
- Cook them together for 15 mins stirring in between until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- The mixture should be still moist.
- Then transfer the mixture to the greased plate and shape it into 7 inch square with 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread pistachios and dab slightly into the burfi.
- Let it rest at room temperature to cool completely and cut into 2 inch squares.
- Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!
- One can add sweetened condensed milk according to their taste buds. (increase if you want it sweeter)
- Try with different fruit flavors for a different taste.
- Cut them into different shapes like rounds or hearts to make it interesting for children.