Chocolate Mousse may sound fancy but it is rather simple to make with very few ingredients. It is a creamy, light and fluffy dessert that anybody would love to have on any special day. In this creamy chocolate is mixed with custard and lightly folded with fluffy egg whites and creamy whipped cream. It is one of those desserts which melts in your mouth.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
Refrigeration time – 5 hrs or overnight
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips or grated chocolate – 1/2 Cup
- Egg (seperated) – 1 no
- Sugar – 2 Tbsp or to taste
- Unsalted Butter – 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – pinch
- Instant Coffee Powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Pure Vanilla Exptract – 1/2 tsp
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 1/2 Cup
- Water – 1 Tbsp
- Strawberries(optional) – for garnish
- Powdered Sugar (optional) – for garnish
Whipping the cream:
- In a clean bowl add cold whipping cream breat till it slightly thickens.
- Gradually add in sugar and beat further until stiff peaks are obtained. Do not over whip otherwise butter will separate.
- Cover the whipped cream and refrigerate until ready to use.
Melting the chocolate:
- In a sauce pan heat an inch of water and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer the water and put the heat proof bowl with the chocolate, instant coffee powder, salt, butter and allow it to melt completely.
- Keep mixing it with spatula otherwise chocolate tends to burn.
- It should be smooth and creamy.
- Once done, remove it off the pan and allow it to cool slightly.
- In a clean mixing bowl have the egg yolk and add sugar.
- Beat till you get a pale colored mixture out of it. (approx 2 mins)
- Get this mixture onto the same double boiler.
- Make sure you keep whisking it constantly so you have a smooth custard.
- Cook it over the double boiler for 5 mins on low heat whisking continuously.
- Once done, take it off the pan.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg gradualy whisking all the time.
- Add vanilla exract and fold everything with a spatula.
Working with egg whites:
- In a clean bowl, add in egg white and beat till stiff peaks are
- Make sure the bowl and whisk are clean otherwise they don’t whip up properly.
Let’s put them all together:
- Once you have the egg whites whipped up and the whipping cream ready and also the custard ready, just mix half of egg whites with the melted chocolate and lighten the chocolate mixture.
- Then gradually fold the remaining egg white to the chocolate mix until combined.
- Finally carefully fold in the whipped cream with the chocolate mixture until combined.
- Do not over mix.
- Transfer the mousse into serving bowls and cover it. Refrigerate overnight to set the mousse.
- Garnish it with powdered sugar and strawberries after taking them out from the refrigerator.
- Enjoy it when it is nice and cold.