Nutritious and simple to make Dal Makhni is popularly had in Northern part of India. These days with the globalization of food, it is enjoyed all around the globe.
Being a vegetarian I always like to have some kind of dal as it is a rich source of protein. So this Dal Makhni is very healthy too as we use the dal with the skin which has all the nutrients. I made the dal with limited cream to maintain its health benefits. Still it came out awesome and I never missed on the taste and the texture.
If one has the soaked beans ready then it just takes 30 mins to make this delicious and creamy dal. I tried to take you through all the steps to make this yummy dal ,so you can make this recipe and enjoy it with your family. Serve Dal Makhni with any flat Indian Bread.
Serves – 4
preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
Soaking time – 8 hrs.
- Whole Blackgram (Urid dal with skin, wash and soak in water overnight) – 1/2 Cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – half of medium onion
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 2 no
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 4 cloves
- Green chillies (finely chopped) – 4 or to taste
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- Clarified Butter (ghee) – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1.2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1/8 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori methi) – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Butter – 1/2 Tbsp
- Heavy Cream – 1/4 Cup
Pressure cook the dal:
- Drain the extra water from the soaked dals and add the dals into the pressure cooker.
- Add salt and 1 1/2 Cups of water into the cooker. Pressure cooker for 1 whistle and simmer or low for 15 mins.
- Wait till the steam is out and pressure is gone.
- Mash the dal slightly and get it ready.
- In a pan, heat ghee. When it is moderately hot, season with cumin seeds, wait till they release their flavor.
- Add asafoetida, ginger, garlic, green chillies and fry till slightly golden.
- Then add onion and cover to cook till onion is tender.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder.
- Add tomatoes and cover to cook till tomatoes are mushy.(approx 5 mins)
- Add the dal mixture.
- Dilute with some water if required.
- Add salt, kasoori methi, butter and cover.
- Wait till it comes to a boil.
- Then add in cream, cilantro and simmer for two more mins.
- Turn off the heat and serve with any indian flat bread or rice.
- If needed substitute cream with milk or reduce the cream.
- Add green chillies accordingly. I like mine a bit spicy.
- Pressure cooking is an important step, to give the dal a great texture. So follow the pressure cooking steps carefully to get the right texture.