Dosa is a traditional south Indian breakfast recipe and a popular Indian Street Food. There are many variations of enjoying this Dosa and one among them would be the Schezwan Butter Dosa where the crispy dosa is covered with spicy schezwan sauce, red chutney and various other vegetables. They are crispy from out and juicy and spicy from inside. It has mixed flavors and textures and it tastes so gud as it is or when it is served with Chutney and/or Sambar.
Makes – 8 Dosas
Preparation time – 1 Day
Cooking time – 30 mins
For Batter –
- Rice – 2 Cups
- Urid Dal – 1/2 Cup
- Chana dal – 2 Tbsp
- Toor Dal – 2 Tbsp
- Moong Dal – 2 Tbsp
- Flattened Rice (Poha) – 1/2 Cup
- Dry Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 1 tsp
For Frying Dosa
- Butter – 3 Tbsp
- Bell Pepper/ Capsicum (Thinly sliced) – 1 no
- Onion (thinly sliced) – 1 no
- Cilantro – 3 Tbsp
For Schezwan Sauce
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Garlic – 4 big cloves
- Tomatoes – 2 big no
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – to taste
- Lemon Juice – 1 Tbsp or to taste
For Quick Red Chutney
- Tomato Ketchup – 1/4 Cup
- Salt – tot aste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- In a bowl add in rice, chanadal, toor dal, moong dal, poha, fenugreek seeds and wash well. Drain the water. Add enough water and soak them for 4 hrs atleast or overnight.
- Drain the water in which the lentils and rice are soaking in and use it for grinding the batter.
- All the soaked rice and lentils into the wet grinder and grind to a smooth batter suing enough water to make a flowing consistancy batter.
- Add just enough water while grinding.
- Remove from the grinder and transfer to a bowl. Cover and rest it in a warm place for 8 to 10 hrs.
- Once the batter is ready, add water and salt, sugar to bring it to a right consistancy. (not very thick nor thin)
For Schezwan Sauce:
- In a pan add in oil. When it is medium hot, add in garlic anf ry till golden.
- Add in tomatoes, salt, chilli powder, sugar, lemon juice and cook it covered till soft and mushy. Turn off the heat once done.
- Let it cool slightly before blending and make a smooth paste out of it. Sauce is ready.
For Quick Red Chutney:
- Mix ketchup salt, garam masala powder in a mixing bowl.
- Red Chutney is ready.
- Heat the dosa tawa.
- When it is medium hot add in two ladles of dosa batter and spread in circular motion.
- Add butter, onion, peppers, schezwan sauce, red chutney, cilantro and spread evenly on the dosa.
- Fry dosa till crispy and golden.
- Proceed the same process with the remaining batter.