Shrikhand is a creamy yogurt dessert recipe prepared in the Indian states, Maharastra and Gujarath. Plain yogurt is strained and flavored with cardamom, saffron and serve chilled.
Watch step by step process of making this Yummy dessert
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Waiting time – 8 hrs or overnight.
- Hung Yogurt – 1 1/2 Cups
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 Cup or to taste
- Milk – 2 Tbsp
- Saffron – 10 strands
- Pistachios (sliced) – 2 Tbsp
- Cardamom – 1 no
- Into warm milk add in the saffron strands and let them rest aside for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, crush the cardamom seeds into fine powder and keep it ready.
- Transfer the hung yogurt from the sieve to a mixing bowl.
- Use only the thick yogurt in this recipe.
- Now add in the powdered sugar, cardamom powder, saffron milk and pistachios.
- Mix well together until combined.
- Top this with more pistachios and serve chilled.
For making hung Yogurt:
- Transfer 2 Cups of good quality thick yogurt into a sieve and place another bowl beneath to catch all the whey water.
- Cover the sieve with a plate or clinkg wrap.
- Place this bowl and sieve set up into the refrigerator and leave it for 8 hrs or overnight.
- Do not leave this apparatus on the couter, the resultant hung yogurt would be sour and you end up using much sugar.
- Depending on the quality of the yogurt and sourness, adjust the sugar quantity.
- Use the whey water while preparing Kadhi or kneading the dough for the chapathis or rotis.
- So the thick portion of yogurt on the sieve is hung yogurt and that’s the portion we should use in this recipe.
- Use any of your favorite fruit purees to flavor this up like, mango, strawberry or simply make cardamom flavored as shown here.
- Pistachios add great crunch but use any nuts of your choice if you want a little variation or if you aren’t a pistachio fan.
- While working with saffron, I always heat up the saffron and the milk separately until they become warm. I do this in mcrowave.One can do the same on the stovetop too. This results in brighter yellow color.
- Never ever use a blender or a food processor to combine the yogurt with the other ingredients.