Rice Pudding is made in many households throughout India, especially on special occasions and festivals. Rice is cooked in milk and simmered for long time to get pudding like texture. In this recipe you don’t see any condensed milk to thicken the kheer, rather milk is cooked for long time to get the perfect consistency and texture. Rice Kheer is topped with nuts that adds to a wonderful crunch and flavor to the kheer.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Bamathi Rice (wash with water, rinse and drain, soak in fresh water for 1/2 hr) – 1/4 Cup
- Whole Milk – 4 Cups
- Clarified Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Green Cardamom – 1 no
- Raisins – 1/2 Tbsp
- Saffron – few strands
- Sugar – 1/3 Cup (or adjust to your taste)
- Pistachios (sliced or chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Cashews (sliced or chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Almonds (sliced or chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Add ghee into the pan and spread evenly throughout the pan.
- Add in the milk and bring it to a boil.
- While the milk is boiling crush the cardamom and pound the seeds to a powder and add saffron and pound it to form a powder.
- When the milk starts to boil, add in soaked rice, without the water.
- Mix well and cook until rice is tender.It took me about 7 mins to cook the rice in milk.
- Keep mixing the milk, so that it doesn’t stick to the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Add in the sugar, pistachios, almonds and cashews.
- Boil for 7 more mins and flavor this with some cardamom powder and saffron.
- Boil for another min. The milk mixture should now look creamy and thick and should have pouring consistency.
- So turn off the heat and serve it warm or chilled.
- Add the sugar only after the rice is cooked to tender, otherwise it takes long time to get cooked.
- Adjust the sugar to your liking, I feel 1/3 Cup is perfect for me.
- The kheer comes to a perfect consistency once it rests on the counter. So do not over cook it, otherwise you end up using lot of milk to thin it down later.
- One can use cooked rice and condensed milk and make the kheer.
- There are many variations to the Indian Rice Kheer. In south people add coconut, some add coconut milk to it.You can alter the flavors that go into the kheer.
- Add any fruits to convert this into a fruit kheer.