Sweetened milk that is reduced to 40% of its original volume is called condensed milk. It is used in lot of cooking and baking. Making it at home takes 15 mins of your time and a small set of ingredients. Anything homemade is way better than the store bought stuff! Agree? So, here goes the recipe.
Preparation time – 2 mins
Cooking time – 12- 15 mins
- Full Fat Milk – 1/2 ltr/ 500 ml
- Sugar – 3/4 Cup
- Butter – 1/2 Tbsp
- In a thick bottomed non stick pan, add full fat milk, sugar.
- Mix well and to a boil on ‘medium’ high heat. Do not let the milk to over boil.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to ‘Medium’ and continue to cook for 2 mins.
- Increase the flame to ‘Medium High’ and keep stirring and scraping the sides and bottom of the pan for 10 – 12 mins or until mixture is reduced to 40 percent of its original volume.
- Add in the butter. Let it dissolve into the mixture. Turn OFF the heat.
- Use it as required in the recipe immediately or refrigerate in any container for later use.
- Use condensed milk as a substitute to eggs in any baking especially cakes and cupcakes.
- It can be used in making kheers.
- Use the condensed milk at the room temperature when baking.