Ever popular and everybody’s favorite chocolate cake is easy to make at home. Follow these steps to get a moist and spongy Eggless Chocolate Cake
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 Cup + 1 Tbsp extra for dusting the pan
- Milk Powder – 3 Tbsp
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 6 Tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 3/4 Cup
- Yogurt (Curd) – 1/4 Cup at room temperature
- Hot Water – 1/2 Cup
- Whole Milk (full fat milk) – 1/2 Cup at room temperature
- Butter – 1/2 Cup (melted)
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Distilled White Vinegar or Lemon or lime juice – 1 Tbsp
- Instant Coffee Powder (like Nescafe instant Coffee) – 1 tsp (Optional)
- In a mixing bowl, sift All purpose Flour, unsweetened Cocoa Powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, milk powder. Set it aside.
- In another bowl, add sugar, melted butter, yogurt, milk, vanilla. Mix until homogeneous . Set it aside.
- Into boiling water add in instant coffee powder and mix until homogeneous. Set this aside. Omit coffee and use just hot water if you don’t want to use coffee.
- Just before mixing the dry and wet ingredients, start preheating any thick pan or a pressure cooker with 2 Cups of salt or sand.
- Place another small bowl or cooker plates after adding the salt. Preheat the pan for five mins covered with a lid on HIGH heat.
- Now start greasing the pan and lining with parchment paper or dusting with flour, so that cake doesn’t stick and comes out clean.
- Next mix in the dry ingredients with the wet all together.
- Mix well until you get a smooth batter.
- Once the pressure cooker is preheated and ready, then mix in the vinegar or lemon juice with the batter just until combined.
- Immediately add the batter into the cake tin and place on top of another bowl or cooker plate. Cover with the lid. Bake on MEDIUM heat for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins. reduce the flame to LOW MEDIUM and bake for 35 – 40 mins or until tooth pick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is baked, carefully move it onto a wire rack and rest it in the pan for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins of resting, invert the cake onto a cake cooling rack and serve it as it is.
- Let the cake cool completely, Meanwhile prepare the sugar syrup and frosting.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 500 ml
- Sugar – 3 Tbsp
- Powdered Sugar – 6Tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Candied Karonda or Canned Cherries – as required
- Chocolate curls – as needed to garnish
- Into a sauce pan heat 1/2 Cup of water and add 3 Tbsp of Sugar, Bring the mixture to a boil and make sure all the sugar is dissolved properly.
- Turn OFF the heat and let the mixture cool completely before using in the recipe.
- In a bowl add in the cream and start beating till it slightly thickens, then add in powdered or icing sugar and whip it further.
- Whip the cream in a clean bowl using clean grease free whisk until soft peaks. Add in the vanilla exract and give it a final mix. Do not over whip it.
- Refrigerate until the cake is completely cooled to room temperature.
For assembling the cake:
- Cut the cake into three layers.
- Seperate the layers and keep aside.
- Place one of the layers onto the cake decorating turn table. Sprinkle 4 Tbsp of prepared sugar syrup onto the cake layer evenly.
- Place 1/4 of the frosting on top and spread evenly.
- Repeat this process for the remaining layers.
- For the top most layer, add all the remaining frosting (Save some for piping some rosettes on top) on top and sides, spreading it evenly.
- Transfer remaining frosting into a piping bag or any ziplock bag with a star nozzle.
- Pipe some rosettes on top along the circumference of the cake and place cherries on top.
- Sprinkle some chocolate flakes in the center and to the sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for 5 hrs before serving. Serve it chilled.
Points to remember:
- Timing is important while cooking. So, mixing the dry and wet ingredients should be done just while pan or the pressure cooker is preheating.
- Mixing vinegar into the cake should be done just before baking.
- Omit coffee if you are making for kids.
- Depending on the type of the pan you are using, baking time varies. So, keep an eye so that you don’t end up with an over baked cake.
- Cover it with Chocolate Ganache or frosting of your choice once the cake has cooled down completely.
- One can bake the same cake in oven at 350 F for 25 – 35 mins.
- Use canned cherries if you like instead of candied Karonda.
- If using canned cherries, drain them before using and save the syrup. USe the syrup to moisten the cake layers instead of preparing the sugar syrup.
- Whipping cream should be cold so it whips up faster to peaks. If needed use chilled mixing bowl and beaters to whip the cream faster.