Jeera Rice is a simple Rice sidh where Bamathi Rice is flavored with ghee roasted Cumin Seeds. Usually goes with any Indian Curries. Tastes great even with simple curds/ yogurt and pickle.
Serves – 2-3
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Basmathi Rice (Wash well under water and soak in fresh water for 30 mins) – 1 Cup
- Onion (Sliced) – 1 no
- Green Chillies (Slit) – 6 or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 1/2 inch piece
- Cardamom- 2 no
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
- Cilantro (finely Chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- In a wide non- stick pan, add in ghee. Heat it on medium high, and when the ghee is melted and medium hot add in the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add in Cinnamon stick and cardamoms and fry for 15 secs.
- Add green chilies. onions. Sprinkle some salt and cook till onion become tender.
- Drain the water from the basmathi rice and add it to the pan, fry for 2 mins.
- Add 1 1/2 Cups of water, salt. Mix well. Bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium heat for 7 mins.
- Gently mix the rice, add in cilantro. Cover the pan and cook on LOW heat for 5 mins. Turn OFF the heat.
- Serve this after resting in the pan for 5 mins with raitha or simple pickle and yogurt or any Indian Curry.