This Ridge gourd curry is flavored with mild spices and is a pure comfort food. It is perfect for everyday cooking. When served with rice or any Indian Flat Bread this curry tastes wonderful.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Asafoetida (hing) – pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 1 no
- Ridge gourd(peel and chop into bite size pieces) – 2 medium
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 no medium
- Milk – 1/4 Cup
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Chana dal – 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp or to taste
- Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Green Chillies – 5 or to taste
- Peel the ridgegourd and chop into bite size pieces. Set them aside.
- Chop the onion finely and set it aside.
- Into a spice mixer, add in green chillies, coconut, cilantro. Grind to a coarse paste. Set it aside.
- Into a pan heat up the oil, add in mustard seeds, chanadal, dry red chilli, turmeric powder, asafoetida. Fry till the dal turns golden.
- Add in the curry leaves, onions. Fry for a minute.
- Add in the ridge gourd, salt, milk, green chilli masala paste. Mix well and cover to cook for 5 mins or until the ridge gourd is tender.
- Open the cover and cook if there is residual moisture to make the curry slightly dry. Do not overcook.
- Turn Off the heat and serve it with hot steamed rice or chapathi.