Ennai Kathrikai kolambu or Kuzhambu is a very tasty side dish from south of India. It is made with baby eggplants and spices with lot of oil. You can reduce the amount of oil and make it healthier. I deep fried my eggplants but pan frying till tender also works. Choose fresh and tender baby eggplants to enjoy the taste of this vegetable curry. This goes well with rice or rotis.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Ginger Garlic (crushed) – 1/2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes (chopped roughly) – 2 no
- Baby Eggplants (wash, and divide into quarters keeping the stem intact) – 13 no
- Coconut (fresh or frozen) – 1/2 Cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Urid dal – 1 tsp
- Green chillies (slit)- 4 or to taste
- Tamarind (soak in 1/4 cup of water for 10 mins and extract the juice) – lemon size
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – generous pinch
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 no
- Jaggery – 1 Tbsp or to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Tbsp to taste
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 1 no
- Oil – for deep frying + 2 Tbsp extra
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- When the oil is medium hot, carefully drop in the eggplants and fry till tender.
- Remove from the pan and let them rest on the paper towel to soak up any extra oil.
- Keep them aside. Heat another pan with 2 Tbsp of oil.
- When the oil is moderately hot, add in crushed ginger garlic and onions. Cover and cook them together till tender.
- Add in tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder. Mix well and cover to cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Add coconut and immediately turn off the heat.
- Cool the mixture and blend to a smooth paste. (no extra water required for blending)
- Keep the paste aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp of oil, when it is moderately hot, add in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies, turmeric powder, urid dal, asafoetida, dry red chilli, curry leaves. Fry till dal turns golden.
- Add in the ground masala.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 mins or until the oil oozes out from the side.
- Now add in the tamarind extract, jaggery, water, salt, fried brinjals. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Finally add in the cilantro. Turn OFF the heat. Ennai Katrikai Kolambu is ready to be served.