There are many varieties of kadhi and the most popular one among them is Punjabi Kadhi. Thick, creamy and sour tasting Kadhi will always be in my favorite comfort food list. I made this with onion pakoras. One can make the pakoras with fenugreek leaves or any other chopped or sliced vegetables. We both loved when served with rice.
- Chickpea Flour – 1 Cup
- Onion (chopped) – 1 Cup
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander Seeds (crushed) – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda – pinch
- Oil – for deep frying
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing)- 1/8th tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 3 no
- Yogurt (curds) – 1 1/2 Cups
- Chickpea Flour – 1/2 Cup
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – to taste
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic and green chilli paste – 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro (chopped) – 1 Tbsp
For pakoda batter:
- Add chickpea flour in a bowl.
- Add in baking soda, crushed coriander seeds, salt, ajwain, red chilli powder, cilantro, onions.
- Add in water gradually and make a thick batter without any lumps.
- Heat oil for deep frying the pakoras.
- When the oil is medium hot, drop in the prepared batter into the oil in small dumplings (1 inch diameter).
- Deep fry till golden.
- Drain the oil from the pakoras and set them aside on a paper towel.
- Fry the pakoras in batches with all the batter.
- Keep them ready.
- Into a mixing bowl add chickpea flour, yogurt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder.
- Whisk them together to make a smooth lump free mixture.
- Add 1 1/2 Cups of water, mix well again and keep aside.
- In a sauce pan, add oil, heat till the oil is medium hot.
- Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, dry red chillies, till for few secs till cumin seeds splutter.
- Then add in the ginger green chilli and garlic paste, butter and fry for 30 secs or until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the prepared yogurt mixture into the sauce pan.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 10 mins on low to medium heat.
- Add in cilantro, mix well and mix it with the pakoras just before serving.
- Top it with more cilantro if needed.
- Serve hot with rice or any Indian Flat Bread.