Nothing can beat this Fresh Homemade Lasagna that’s made with homemade sauces, fresh cooked veggies and the freshly made pasta sheets. It looks like a lot of work but trust me, it can be done in an hr when you multi task in your kitchen. If you are a busy person, cook this much ahead of time and assemble the layers, refrigerate. And put it to bake whenever to want to enjoy a flavorful meal. It is that simple.
Serves – 4 people
For Lasagna Pasta Sheets:
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 Cup
- Baking Soda – pinch
- Salt – 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Water – for making dough
For Bechamel Sauce
- Whole Milk – 1 1/2 Cup
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Nutmeg (grated) – pinch
- All Purpose Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Crushed Black Pepper – to taste
- Dry Italian Seasoning (crushed) – 1/4 tsp
For Vegetable Mixture:
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Mushrooms (chopped) – 1 1/2 Cup
- Zucchini (chopped) – 1 1/2 Cup
- Bell Pepper (chopped) – 1 1/2 Cups
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Celery (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 Cup
- Salt – to taste
- Paprika Powder – to taste
- Sugar – to taste
- Tomato Ketchup – 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes (roughly chopped) – 3 medium
- Dry Italian Herb Seasoning – 1/2 tsp crushed
- Black Pepper (crushed) – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Oregano (crushed) – 1/2 tsp
- Dry crushed Red Pepper Flakes – to taste
- Dry Marjoram Leaves – 1/4 tsp
- French Beans (finely chopped) – 1/2 Cup
- Spinach (finely chopped) – 2 Cups
- Cheddar Cheese (grated) – 1 Cup
- Mozzarella Cheese (grated) – 1 Cup
- Parmesan Cheese (grated) – 1/4 Cup
For Lasagna Noodles:
- Into a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, salt, 1 tsp of oil.
- Mix these well until combined.
- Gradually add water and make a tight but soft and pliable dough.
- Grease the dough with few drops of oil and coat well.
- Cover and rest for 30 mins.
- Bring 2 ltrs of water to a rolling boil, add salt.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll them into 9 inch diameter circles. Use dry flour while rolling so that the dough doesn’t stick.
- Cut the sides to shape into 8 inch square sheet. Sprinkle some flour on top and continue the rolling process with the remaining dough.
- Stack all the prepared sheets.
- Drop them into boiling water and cook till tender. DO NOT over cook.
- Carefully drain them out onto a clean kitchen towel. Grease them with few drops of oil, so that they don’t stick to each other.
- Now the lasagna sheets are ready. Keep aside.
Tomato Based Vegetable Sauce:
- Heat a wide pan on medium heat.
- Add butter, red chilli flakes, black pepper powder, italian seasoning, marjaram leaves, oregano leaves, garlic, celery.
- Fry till garlic turns golden.
- Add Red Bell pepper, onion, yellow peppers, green peppers, beans, zucchini, mushrooms.
- Add Salt and mix well. Cover and cook till vegetables are tender.
- Blend tomatoes into a fine puree.
- Add the tomato puree to the cooked vegetables, more salt if needed, sugar, paprika powder, tomato ketchup.
- Cover and cook for 10 mins.
- Add Spinach and cook till wilted and cooked (approx 3 mins).
- Turn OFF the heat and keep the vegetable mixture ready.
For White Sauce:
- Into a small sauce pan, add butter, let it melt.
- Add flour, whisk well till the flour is roasted. (approx 2 mins on low heat.)
- Add Milk and keep whisking all the time.
- Add crushed pepper, chilli flakes, grated nutmeg, salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook till the sauce coats the back of the spatula. (approx) – 5 mins.
Final Assembly and Baking:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking tray with some butter.
- Line it with one of the boiled pasta sheet, add 1/3 rd of the the vegetable mixture on top and spread evenly.
- Spread some cheese on top and follow the layering process altering with the boiled lasagna sheet, vegetable mixture and cheese layers.
- Continue the layering process till you run out of the vegetable mixture, and lasagna sheets.
- On top add the prepared white sauce and more cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 mins @ 350 F
- Then broil for 5 mins without any foil to achieve golden color top.
- Let it rest on the counter for 15 mins.
- Cut and serve.
Use your favorite vegetables or any leftover vegetables that are sitting in your refrigerator.
Adjust the spiciness to suit your family taste buds.