Garam masala Powder is a popular Indian spice blend used commonly in Indian gravies. It is a hot and spicy spice blend which is used sparingly to flavor the dish. This spice blend is not only used in gravies but also in making rice dishes or Kebabs. Here is the recipe for kachha Garam Masala Powder.
Makes Approx 150 gms
Ingredients: Approx 150 gms
- Coriander Seeds – 1/4 Cup (20gms)
- Cumin Seeds – 1/8 Cup (20 gms)
- Black Cardamom – 1/4 Cup (20 gms)
- Cloves – 1/4 Cup (20 gms)
- Cinnamon Sticks – 6 big (20 gms)
- Bay Leaves – 20 no (10 gms)
- Black peppercorns – 1/8 cup (20 gms)
- Star Anise – 2 florets (5 gms)
- Nutmeg – 1 no (5 gms)
- Mace Powder – 3 tsp (5 gms)
- Salt – to taste
- If you want you can sun dry the masala ingredients or slightly dry roast in any pan.
- This is the recipe for Kacchha Garam masala, so need not roast the spices. It has strong flavor and odor.
- So to start with, crush the Cinnamon sticks into small pieces using a mortar and a pestle. Keep aside.
- Crush Nutmeg into small pieces. Keep it aside.
- Into a sturdy blender jar (preferably stainless steel jar) add in all the ingredients and blend to a fine powder.
- While grinding if needed, scrape the sides of the jar to get an even powder.
- If needed sift the powder to remove any coarse particles and regrind them to get a finer texture Garam Masala Powder.
- Store the Garam Masala Powder in an air tight jar.
- This Garam masala Powder stays fresh for 6 months.
- For two servings use 1/2 – 3/4 tsp of garam masala to flavor any gravy dish.