There is something special about homemade fresh bread. Kerala Parotta is one such delicious bread that is popular on the streets of Kerala. People find it tricky to get thin multiple layers which are flaky and smooth at the same time. In this recipe I go through step by step process of making this parotta. I serve this parotta with vegetable curry, it simply tastes DELICIOUSS 😉
Serves – 3
- All Purpose Flour – 2 Cups
- Water – as required to make soft but stiff dough
- Oil – 1/4 Cup
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp or to taste
- Into a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, 2 tsp oil, salt, baking soda.
- Mix well and gradually add water to make stiff but smooth dough. Add few drops of oil and smear all through the dough and rest for 1/2 hr.
- Knead the dough once and again cover to rest for 10 mins.
- Now divide the dough into 2 inch diameter round dumplings, or choose your own size.
- Grease the dumplings with few drops of oil and cover to rest for 10 mins atleast.
- Roll one dumpling at a time on the greased counter top with the greased rolling pin.
- Roll them as thin as you can. Then further stretch the roti by lifting and pulling the roti. Once properly stretched, stick it to the rolling surface just to make sure it doesn’t shrink back.
- Stretch the roti all all the sides.
- Add 1 tsp of oil at the center and spread it evenly.
- Lift one end of the roti and start making pleats and join the both ends by shaping into a spiral dumpling.
- Keep this spiral dumpling ready covered all the time.
- Repeat this process of rolling and shaping into spirals with all the dumplings and keep them covered.
- Cover and rest the spiral dumplings for 10 mins atleast.
- Again start rolling them, this time into 5 inch diameter circles, take care while rolling not to disturb the layers.
- Do not use dry flour for rolling.
- For Frying, heat the skillet, it should be very hot, add few drops of oil first and add the rolled out parotta.
- Fry for 40 secs on one side or till you see light brown spots, then add few drops of oil and flip the parotta so that it cooks evenly on the other side.
- Cook the parottas till you see golden color spots on both the sides.
- Roll all the spirals dumplings the same way and fry them.
- After frying few of them stack and crush the parottas between your palms, to let all the layers pop out nicely.
- repeat the process with all the dumplins. Serve Parottas with curry of your choice.