Spinach and Rice Balls are amazingly delicious snack which are made using Cooked Rice, potato, Spinach and few other simple spices. These balls are super quick to make if you have some leftover rice at home. I often make these balls and serve with coconut chutney or peanut chutney. You can serve them as they are or without any dip too. They taste YUM.
These crispy balls are gluten free and vegan, so they can be enjoyed by one and all. These balls are made by mashing the cooked rice with some spices, grated potato and spinach and then deep fried. I mashed the rice and chopped the ingredients manually, you can simply food process them for a simplified version. I like to do it manually as it hardly takes about five mins to put together.
So here goes the step by step process of making these Balls. Click here to watch the video:
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
Makes- 18 small balls
- Cooked Rice (fresh or leftover) – 2 cups
- Potato (grated) – 1 medium no
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 medium
- Chickpea Flour – 2 Tbsp
- Spinach (finely chopped) – 1 Cup
- Amchoor/ Dry Mango Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
- Garlic (chopped) – 2 no
- Oil – for deep frying
- Mash the cooked rice in a bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, chopped spinach, peeled & grated potato.
- Add red chilli powder, salt, chopped garlic, amchoor powder, chickpea flour.
- Do not add any extra water to make the ,ixture
- Mix well and mash the ingredients.
- Shape them into 18 medium sized balls.
- Heat the oil for deep frying. Fry the balls on medium flame for 5 mins or till golden from all the sides.
- Remove the fried balls onto any tissue paper to soak up any extra oil. Serve with chutney or dip of your choice.