Makes – 20 Badusha
Preparation time – 1 hr
For traditional Badusha:
- In a wide bowl,sift all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda together.
- Make a well in the center and add curd, melted ghee.
- Combine flour with wet ingredients till the mixture resembles bread crumb texture.
- Add enough water gradually and make a soft dough.
- Grease the dough with few drops of ghee and cover to rest for 1 hr.
- Just before 10 mins of leftover resting time, start making sugar syrup.
- Into a sauce pan, add sugar, water and bring to a boil.
- Add lemon juice, saffron strands and cook till one string consistency stage.
- Keep it aside.
- Divide the Badusha dough into 20 even sized balls and make a slight depression on them.
- Fry them in medium hot oil for 30 mins for then on low heat for 15 mins or until they get light golden color.
- Take them out from oil and transfer into sugar syrup.
- Press them slightly so they absorb the syrup, rest them in the syrup while frying the next batch.
- Repeat the process of frying and dipping into the syrup with all the Badushas.
- Serve them with some slices of almonds on top.
- Traditional badusha are ready. Enjoy!
For Chocolate Badusha:
- Microwave chocolate, cream, butter for a min in short intervals (say 30 sec).
- Add vanilla extract and mix well. Refrigerate the mixture so that it sets. (For 1 hr atleast)
- Shape the mixture into 20 small balls and roll them in chopped nuts or topping of your choice.
- Make traditional badusha.
- Top the traditional badusha with one or more of these truffles to make Chocolate Badushas.
- Garnish with sliced Almonds.
For Rabri Topped Badusha:
- Heat a medium nonstick pan and add milk, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 20 mins, moving the top cream layer that forms on top while the milk is simmering.
- Scrap the bottom and sides of the pan every 5 mins. Do not let the mixture stick the bottom or the sides of the pan through out the cooking time.
- Once the milk quantity is reduced to 1/4 of the original volume, add sugar, sliced almonds and cook for 2 more mins.
- Transfer the Rabri to a bowl and cover to refrigerate for 1 hr atleast.
- Make traditional badusha and top them with 2 Tbsp or more or rabri.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.
- Measure the ingredients carefully.
- Do not knead the dough as you do for regular chapathi or roti dough.
- Fry the Badusha on LOW heat only for good 15 mins.
- Sugar syrup consistency is crucial.