Quick, easy and healthy Andhra recipe that can be made in under 15 mins and it taste divine when served with steamed rice and fresh cut onions on the side. Try this heavenly combination and enjoy with your family.
Click here to watch step by step of making this simple and yummy side dish to go with hot steamed rice
Serves – 2 or 3
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Spinach (finely chopped) – 2 Cups
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 Cup
- Green chillies (finely chopped) – 6 or to taste
- Toor Dal (washed and soaked in fresh water for 10 mins) – 3 tsp
- Tamarind – 3 flakes
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 1 no
- Curry Leaves – 3 no
- Water – 1/2 Cup to cook the spinach
- Heat a medium skillet to medium and add water, spinach, toordal, green chillies, onion and turmeric powder, salt.
- Cover and cook till the dal and spinach are nicely cooked.
- Keep an eye and give it a stir once in a while till they are completely done.
- Dal should be completely cooked still it shouldn’t be mushy. It should retain it’s shape.
- Add the tamarind and cook it covered for 3 more mins.
- At this time mash the pulusu koora with the back of the ladle. Turn OFF the heat.
- Now prepare the seasoning for the Pulusu Koora.
- Heat a small pan and add in the oil, when it is medium hot add mustard seeds and allow to splutter then add cumin seeds, break the dry chilli into three and add into the oil. Finally add the curry leaves and mix well with the other seasoning ingredients.
- Combine the flavorful seasoning with Pulusu Koora. Serve it with hot steamed rice.
- Be careful while adding salt as spinach has lot of natural salts.
- It is a great way of adding greens into your diet.
- Covering and cooking the dish helps to retain maximum nutrition and helps to cook the dal fast with the spinach.