Crispy and tasty Indian Snack Recipe made using bread. These Bread Pakodas are stuffed with flavorful potato filling and batter fried until crispy and golden. This is a favorite evening snack and breakfast especially among kids.
Serves – 4 pieces
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Bread – 4 slices no ( I’m using white bread slices)
- Oil – for deep frying
- Sweet and Sour / Tamarind Chutney – 2 Tbsp
- Hari Chutney/ Green Chutney – 2 Tbsp
- For Stuffing:
- Potato (Boiled and Mashed) – 1 Medium
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2 or to taste
- Ginger – small piece
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro/ Coriander Leaves (finely chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp or to taste
- For Batter:
- Chick Pea Flour – 1/2 Cup (heaping)
- Rice Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder
- Baking Soda – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Carom Seeds/ Ajwain/ Vaamu – 1/4 tsp
- For Stuffing:
- Heat Oil and when its medium hot, add cumin seeds, onion, ginger chilli paste, coriander powder, salt.
- Cook till onions are slightly cooked. Don’t overcook.
- Add mashed potato, cilantro and mix well until combined.
- Cook for 30 secs and switch off the heat.
- Cool the stuffing completely. Keep aside.
- For Batter:
- Into a bowl add chickpea flour, rice flour, baking soda, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, carom seeds, salt.
- Gradually add water and make a semi thick batter.
- Batter should be smooth and have flowing consistency.
- For Assembling
- Apply green chutney on one of the bread slices and place 3 Tbsp of potato stuffing, sread the stuffing evenly.
- Apply Imli Chutney on the other bread slice.
- Cover the bread slices so that the stuffing is nicely sealed in between the two slices.
- Cut the Bread sandwich diagonally. Keep ready.
- Prepare another sandwich the same way.
- For Frying:
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying, dip the bread sandwich into the batter and drop into hot oil.
- Using ladle pour hot oil on the top side of the bread sandwich while frying.
- Fry until golden on the bottom side.
- Flip and fry till golden and crispy on the other side.
- Remove from oil and fry rest of the pakoras the same way
- Serve hot as they are or with chutney.
- Traditionally potato is used as stuffing but be creative and use paneer, mashed vegetables or tofu. It tastes different and nice with a slight variation.
- We can avoid pan frying the potato mixture if you are in a hurry, but it tastes great when slightly sauteed in oil with some spices.
- Cool the Potato mixture completely before applying onto the bread slices.
- Batter consistency should be right otherwise bread pakodas will be dense when very thick and oily when the batter is too loose.
- While frying oil should be medium high otherwise they don’t turn out fluffy and crispy.
- After frying one batch allow the allow to reach the right frying temperature and start frying next batch.