Vegetable Pulao is a simple but flavorsome dish prepared with mixed vegetables and basmathi rice. Here I cooked Veg Pulav in a pan, however we can make this in pressure cooker. We can make this for lunch or dinner, serve it as is or with raitha or salan. It’s an absolute lifesaver for my busy days.
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 40 mins
- Basmathi Rice (washed, drained and soaked in water for 30 mins) – 1 Cup
- Water – 1 and 1/2 Cup
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 10 no
- Almonds – 1 Tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 3
- Cloves – 5
- Black Cardamom – 1 no
- Cinnamon – 2 (1 inch pieces)
- Black Cumin (Shahi Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 and 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Ginger – small piece
- Garlic – 3 big cloves
- Green Chillies – 6 or to taste
- Cilantro/ Coriander leaves (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- Mint (finely chopped) – 2 Tbsp
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 Cup
- French beans (chopped) – 15 no
- Potato (cubed) – 1 small
- Cauliflower (florets) – 3/4 Cup
- Green Peas – handful
- Carrot (cubed) – 1 big
- Heat ghee in a nonstick pan and fry cashews and almonds till golden, remove from the pan and set them aside.
- Heat oil in a deep nonstick pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves and shahi jeera.
- Add onion and fry for 1 min. Add chopped vegetables. Cover and cook while we make masala.
- In a spice grinder, add ginger, garlic, green chillies and blend to a coarse paste.
- Add this ground masala paste into the vegetables and mix well. Cover and cook till the vegetables are tender. (about 10 mins on low flame)
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add salt, water. Cover the pan and bring the water to a boil.
- Add soaked rice, mix gently with the vegetables.
- Cover and cook till almost all the water is absorbed by the rice.
- Gentle fluff up the rice and simmer pulao for 10 – 15 mins with the lid on.
- Vegetable Pulao is ready, serve as is or with raita or salan.