At home I do make number of gravies to go with chapathis/ rotis/ bhakris. This creamy punjabi restaurant style Methi Matar Malai is one of them. Methi/ fenugreek leaves when paired with green peas in a creamy gravy makes a great combo.
Watch Step by Step process of making Methi Matar Malai:
I generally serve Methi Mutter Malai with chapatis or rotis, as we prefer dry curries to go with rice. But many restaurants serve it with both rice and breads.
If methi leaves are prepped and ready, this dish can be done in 15 mins. Freshly ground masala and the combination of spices that we used makes a great tasting Methi Matar Malai.
Serves – 2 adults
Preparation time – 15 mins
Cooking time – 10 mins
- Fenugreek/ Methi leaves (wash couple of times) – 2 Cups/ 70gms
- Green Peas (frozen) – 1/2 Cup
- Cashews (soak 15 mins in water) – 12
- Onion(finely chopped) – 1/4 Cup
- Cream/ Malai – 3 Tbsp or more if required
- Milk – 2/3 Cup
- Water – 1 and 1/2 Cups
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp or to taste
- Sugar – 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
Freshly ground wet masala
- Ginger – small piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Green Chillies – 5 or to taste
Freshly ground Dry Masala Powder
- Mace Powder – 1/4tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – small piece
- Cloves – 3
- Green Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg – 1/8 tsp (freshly grated)
- In a sauce pan boil 4 cups of water.
- Add green peas and boil for 2 mins on medium flame.
- Remove flame heat and keep aside.
- Into same water, add fenugreek leaves and boil for 1 and half mins.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- using a a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, make a fine powder of mace, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom and nutmeg.
- Keep this masala covered and ready.
- Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies without water.
- keep this paste ready.
- Grind Cashews to a smooth paste.
- Use water while grinding to get smooth paste.
- Now we have all the components ready.
- Heat a medium pan and add butter.
- Add onion and wet masala paste.
- Cover and cook for five mins on medium flame till onions are tender.
- Meanwhile, squeeze out all the water from methi leaves and discard the water. Finely chop methi leaves and keep ready.
- Add Cashew paste, methi leaves, green peas, milk, salt, sugar, water, dry masala powder.
- Boil this for 5 mins.
- Reduce the flame to low and add cream. Cook for 1 mins and your Methi Matar Malai is ready.
- Serve with rotis or rice. Enjoy