Garam masala Powder is a popular Indian spice blend used commonly in Indian gravies. It is a hot and spicy spice blend which is used sparingly to flavor the dish. This spice blend is not only used in gravies but also in making rice dishes or Kebabs. Here is the recipe for kachha Garam Masala …
Have you ever visited CHUTNEYS restaurant in Hyderabad? It is popular for the variety of dosas and idlis they offer. Early this summer, when my brother visited us, he talked about this dosa that he had in CHUTNEYS. He explained how it looks and tastes like. It seemed like a great idea to try it at home. When I made it for him, to my surprise he said it tasted and looked exactly as that in the restaurant. So here is the recipe for that soft and yummy melt in mouth Steamed Dosa. This Dosa is also called as Chiranjeevi Dosa as the popular South Indian Actor Chiranjeevi loves it too.
Serves – 2
- Sona Masoori Rice – 1 Cup
- Parboiled Rice/ Idli Rice – 1/2 Cup
- Skinless Urid Dal – 1/4 Cup
- Puffed Rice – 1/2 Cup
- Pressed Rice – 1/2 Cup
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – optional (2 Tbsp)
- Sea Salt – to taste
- Baking Soda – pinch
- Wash and soak the rice, parboiled rice, puffed rice, pressed rice, urid dal and fenugreek seeds for atleast 4 hrs in 3 Cups of water.
- Blend the soaked ingredients to a smooth batter. If required add more water just to help it grind till smooth.
- The consistency of the batter should be same as that of the regular dosa or pancake batter.
- Rest the batter covered for 8 hrs or more, so that the batter is nice and fluffy.
- Now add in the salt and pinch of baking soda. DO NOT add much it tastes bitter.
- Preheat the dosa griddle to medium heat. Drizzle some oil and spread all over the pan.
- Spread two ladles of the batter at the center, do not spread it.
- It should be thick.
- Dosa is steam cooked with the lid ON.
- So cover the batter with the lid and steam cook until bottom side turns golden.
- Drizzle some oil if needed.
- Do not cook it on the other side.
- The dosa is ready. It has soft and fluffy texture and melts in your mouth.
- Serve with any chutney or Sambar of your choice.
Mouth Melting Indian Dessert that everybody loves.
Serves – 2 to 3
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- MTR Gulab Jamun Mix – 50 gms
- Milk – 1/4 Cup or as required
- Ghee -pinch to coat the dough
- Sugar – 1 Cup
- Water – 1 Cup
- Cardamom Powder – pinch
- Rose Syrup – few drops. (optional)
- Saffron – Optional
- oil or ghee – deep frying
In a bowl mix together MTR mix and milk to form a stiff crumbly dough. Add milk gradually to form a stiff dough. Cover and rest for 15 mins.
Heat the oil on low and divide the dough into 10 equal size balls and smoothen till they don’t have any cracks. Add the dumplings into the oil (oil should be warm not hot) Fry them till they are golden all over. Take care not to touch them when they are tender. Once they start to change their color then you can move them around.
Meanwhile while the jamun are getting done, prepare the sugar syrup by boiling the sugar and water, bring the mixture to a boil, add in rose essence, saffron, cardamom powder and turn off the heat.
Add the fried jamuns to the warm sugar syrup and rest them for 15 – 20 mins. They will double in their size. Serve them garnished with the cashews or any other nuts along with the sugar syrup.
Serves – 2 – 3
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Okra/ Bhindi (trim the both ends and cut in 1 inch pieces) – 2 Cups
- Onion (Cubed) – 1/2 cup
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- TUrmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Toasted Sesame Seed Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Red Chilli powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Coriander Powder- 1/2 ts
- Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
- oil – 2 – 3 Tbsp
- Slit the Bhindi and set them aside.
- Mix in garam masala powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, dry mango powder, toasted sesame seed powder in a seperate bowl. Keep it ready.
- Stuff the Okra with the prepared spice powder.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add in turmeric powder, onion and fry for a min.
- Add in the stuffed bhindi to the pan and mix gently. Cover and cook them till they are cooked all the way through. Keep mixing Okra gently once in while to cook them evenly.
- Finish this off with 1/4 tsp of left over masala. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Serve with roti or any Indian bread. Stuffed Bhindi also goes well with hot steamed rice.
Paneer Stuffed Pepper Masala is a rich gravy, perfect to serve at a party table. But it is a easy to make recipe and goes well when served with any Indian bread like roti, phulka, naan etc.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Ginger – small piece
- Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp or to taste + 1/2 tsp extra
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Jalapeno Peppers – 6 no
- Paneer (crumbled) – 1 Cup (packed)
- Tomatoes (cubed) – 2 no
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Garlic – 6 no (small)
- Roasted Peanuts – 3 Tbsp
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 2 no or to taste
- Onion (finely Chopped) – 1 medium
- Cilantro (finely chopped) – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Sugar – 1 tsp or to taste
- Deseed the peppers by making a cut vertically at the center of the pepper and open it gently. Remove the pith and seeds with a spoon. Set them aside.
- Now to flavor the paneer, add in salt, red chilli powder, amchoor powder, cilantro. Mix the spices well with the paneer and mash the paneer to make it smooth.
- Stuff the peppers with the paneer stuffing. (1 Tbsp in each pepper and save the remaining paneer stuffing.
- In a small pan, add in 1 Tbsp of oil and add the stuffed peppers, sprinkle some salt and fry them for five mins or until charred and tender.
- Into another pan add in the remaining oil and season with cumin seeds, onions and add salt and cook till onions are golden in color.
- While onions are sweating in the pan, meanwhile prepare tomato puree. So, add ginger, garlic, roasted peanuts, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, sugar and tomatoes.
- Blend them to a fine paste using some water. Set this aside.
- By this time the peppers will be cooked, so turn off the heat and set them aside.
- Check the onions, if they are slightly golden brown in color, then add in the ground tomato spice blend that we just made.
- Cook this mixture for 5 mins or until the oil oozes from the sides of the pan.Add green chillies, water.
- Add in the leftover paneer mixture that we saved after stuffing the peppers.
- Add more water, bring to a boil. Now add in the fried peppers and the left over oil in which you fried them.
- Finally garnish with cilantro and serve with your favorite Indian bread recipe.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/05/25/homemade-garam-masala-powder-diy/
Paneer is cooked in a rich and creamy white gravy. Safed Paneer tastes different and unique from the other regular Indian gravies. White pepper, Saffron and Cardamom together play a wonderful role in flavoring this dish. So do try this and serve it with any of your favorite Indian Flat Bread like Roti, Naan Parathas …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/05/20/safed-paneer-restaurant-style-indian-gravy-under-20-mins/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/04/26/chole-masala-bhatura/
The best Burger recipe you ever need. It is just YUM Watch step by step process of making Burger: Makes – 5 Burgers Serves – 3- 4 Ingredients Potatoes (boiled, peeled) – 2 medium Vegetables (chopped, boiled) – 1 Cup (I used Carrot, cauliflower, beans) Curry Powder – 1/2 …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/04/16/veggie-burger/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/04/10/eggless-mayonnaise/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/04/02/lunch-dinner-menu-dondakaaya-ulli-karam-mixed-vegetable-kootu/
Nothing can beat this Fresh Homemade Lasagna that’s made with homemade sauces, fresh cooked veggies and the freshly made pasta sheets. It looks like a lot of work but trust me, it can be done in an hr when you multi task in your kitchen. If you are a busy person, cook this much ahead …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/03/26/vegetable-lasagna-indo-italian-recipe/
This is a super quick style of making creamy and yummy Tomato Soup. Ingredients: Serves- 2 – 3 Tomatoes (Cubed) – 3 no Carrot (roughly chopped) – half no Beetroot (roughly chopped) – 1/4 Cup Onion (roughly chopped) – 1/2 no Celery (roughly chopped) – 1 stalk Red Bell …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/03/10/tomato-soup/
Hara Bhara Kebab! As the name says, they are filled with lot of green vegetables. I use Paneer and potatoes to give a smooth and creamy texture to the Kebab. They literally melt in mouth when you take a bite of these addictive Kebabs Watch step by step process of …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/02/27/hara-bhara-kebab-melt-in-mouth-vegetarian-kebab/
Biryani recipe made easy!!! Follow this simple process to enjoy delicious Baby Potato Biryani Serves: 2 Preparation time – 5 mins Resting time – 30 mins for soaking the rice Cooking time – 20 mins Ingredients: Baby Potatoes (peeled, washed) – 15 no Cilantro (chopped) – 3 Tbsp Onion …
Permanent link to this article: http://www.sruthiskitchen.com/2015/02/25/baby-potato-biryani/